SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I picked up a pair of 4-piston brembo calipers off of an S60R for not much moo-la at all. My plan is to use the stock S60R rotors as they should fit with minimal enlargement of the bolt holes. If anyone in the boston area has a spare 9-5 aero front rotor and caliper for me to borrow so I can design the adapter brackets, I'd be extremely appreciative.

But enough talk, here's the pictures:

The Hottness:

Optimus Prime sez "veery niice!"

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
ACBarnett said:
My plan is to use the stock S60R rotors as they should fit with minimal enlargement of the bolt holes.
What is the bolt pattern for the S60? I am very interested in this process as I have the front and rear kit from WP pro that I have yet to install. I love brakes! That might be weird but hey nothin's more sexy than a nice open wheel design with a beautiful multi-piston caliper peaking out from behind...:cheesy: Cheers.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bolt pattern is 5 by 108, the hub diameter is identical, and the offset is nearly the same :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
ACBarnett said:
the bolt pattern is 5 by 108, the hub diameter is identical, and the offset is nearly the same :cheesy:
A 9-5 is 5X110 :confused:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the difference is 2 mm, probably within the manufacturing tolerances for the holes in the rotors...

it's nothing that 5 minutes and a drillpress wouldn't fix

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean it, all I have to do is widen the diameter of the holes by ~1mm and they will fit the 9-5 bolt pattern. The volvo and saab bolt patterns are so close that people run volvo wheels on saabs and vice versa without even having to use the fancy floating-flange wheelbolts that BBS sells.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
ACBarnett said:
I mean it, all I have to do is widen the diameter of the holes by ~1mm and they will fit the 9-5 bolt pattern. The volvo and saab bolt patterns are so close that people run volvo wheels on saabs and vice versa without even having to use the fancy floating-flange wheelbolts that BBS sells.
Been running 5x108 wheels for a couple of years now, they won't go on without those "fancy floating flange wheelbolts" (wobble bolts). :nono;

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
ACBarnett said:
If anyone in the boston area has a spare 9-5 aero front rotor and caliper for me to borrow so I can design the adapter brackets, I'd be extremely appreciative.
Jssaab has experience with making custom caliper brackets so talk to him.
Kermit said:
Been running 5x108 wheels for a couple of years now, they won't go on without those "fancy floating flange wheelbolts" (wobble bolts). :nono;
Would it be possible to source a Volvo rotor without holes and have them drilled? Maybe this would be difficult but it seems like the easiest solution. Cheers.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Radial mounted calipers would have been so much easier to fit :confused:

PS - whats up with the title of this thread :eek:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris 9-5 said:

I thought so too, but the S60R rotors have hats that are so much deeper that I should be able to get away with a 1 cm thick bar of steel as the adapter bracket.

As I said before, the center hub diameter is identical between the volvo and the saab, the only issue is making the bolt holes on the rotor that 1mm wider that they need to be to fit the saab pattern.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You know, I'd be inclined to say give it a shot, if the center is the same, your very accurate in your enlargements, then I can't see where there would be a problem! How much did you get 'em for if you don't mind me asking.

Oh, why couldn't you just get a similar sized rotor in our bolt pattern?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:

Hey Chris, what model ( I am asuming Brembros) are they - the porsche ones?. And is that a "blank" adapter that you had drilled to fit? ( or is it custom?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SectorNine50 said:
You know, I'd be inclined to say give it a shot, if the center is the same, your very accurate in your enlargements, then I can't see where there would be a problem! How much did you get 'em for if you don't mind me asking.

Oh, why couldn't you just get a similar sized rotor in our bolt pattern?
$100 a caliper with nearly-new pads. S60R rotors cost ~100 a pop so that leaves me with alot of $$$ to make it all work before I get anywhere close to the price of the WP pro, AP racing, or stoptech kits that are out there. I also end up with calipers that are designed for on-road use so they don't have some of the durability issues that the other aftermarket brands have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts