SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in a good way though. My 94 turbo vert is runny extremely rich and I dont know where to begin. This is probobly due to all the bolt on stuff in the car that it wasnt designed for. It has larger injectors, eprom, apc, and 70gph fuel pump. I was under the impression the computer woud still calculate the correct amount of neaded fuel but its definately getting too much!

Could timing affect this? I have never timed a saab and I could use some pointers if anyone thinks this could be the cause.

I still partly blame my atmov valve. Ever since I installed it the car stalled after high boost. (assuming it was getting to much fuel then as well)

On a seperate note the saab is starting slow. Then engine turns over fine but I have to crank it a good deal before it fires if its been sitting awhile. I think this is because its not getting fuel for a while. Once its been started it will started right up again no problems.

Help guys! I am almost finished with this project its just time to get it tuned properly :D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A ruptured diaphram in a fuel pressure reg. will pour lots of fuel into the inlet system. I've seen flames shooting two feet out of the tailpipe, on a car with a severe leaker.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow no bueno. lets see. if it doesnt start right up its because its running rich. mine did the same thing before. I put a new AMM and new plugs. AMM will make it run rich, as will O2 sensor. I goes into a limp mode. does it idle well?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced the pressure regulator and I still have the same issues.
It idles poorly also. THe revs are constanly varying from 900-1100 and back to 900.probobly around 4 sec intervals. I'm sure my plugs are fouled but that would be because its already running rich right?

Are used AMMs ok or are they available new for a reasonable price?
I will order an O2 sensor as I sure its the original in the car currently.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
the atmos. valve forcing the engine to run rich and stall would be unrelated to why the car generally is running rich. you have to take into account that the injectors only get an open or close signal, and the more flow you have, the more gas the engine is going to get. what pressure FPR are you running right now? the flow of your pump wouldnt make a difference, just the FPR pressure rating. Also what size/rated flow injectors did you put in?

·
4,637 Posts
shaverjeff said:
Not in a good way though. My 94 turbo vert is runny extremely rich and I dont know where to begin. This is probobly due to all the bolt on stuff in the car that it wasnt designed for. It has larger injectors, eprom, apc, and 70gph fuel pump. I was under the impression the computer woud still calculate the correct amount of neaded fuel but its definately getting too much!
The computer has its limits though. It can probably under/over fuel by maybe 30% but if you push the limits, it probably won't cope. I would have thought it would throw a CEL in those circumstances though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Series SD 30# injectors, APC, Eprom,
The FPR is also SD 3.0bar
Fuel pump is SD 65-70gph

I just replaced the fpr and fuel pump due to the stock fuel pump failing. I do believe it was still running rich prior to these additions.

Before the old pump went bad I would get the "check engine" light but now it remains off. From the smell of things and the idle I am sure its still running really rich.

Maybe its finally time for an air/fuel ratio gauge.
Once you get the readings how do you go about tuning?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts