SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it! After trying several methods to secure the blown hydraulic line back onto the fitting to avoid the costly repair, I found a solution. Realize that I did this today, refilled the hydraulic oil reservoir, exercised the top a couple times and filled it to the operating level and have put it up and down twice since then today and it hasn't leaked or blown back off after, say, six cycles. Here it is:
First thing is to take the hose connection fitting off of the hydraulic piston and cut the outside sleeve off of the fitting where the hose connected-obviously this does not mean the whole end, you will need to fit the hose back on its proper connection. Then you can see the male part of the fitting where the hose goes back on. I took a TV cable connector, which is made up of an inner sleeve, outer sleeve and nut fixture. From the nut end, I drilled out the inner sleeve so I just had the outer sleeve to work with. I bought a GOOD, Heavy pair of crimpers that are designed for those fittings, slid the sleeve onto the hose, slid the hose back onto the hydraulic fitting and slid the sleeve up to the hydraulic fitting and crimped the sleeve to secure the hose to the hydraulic fitting then installed the hydraulic fitting back to its proper position. Hey, this works, try it. You can get the cable fittings and associated crimpers at Radio Shack or something. I will repost if this connection fails. I am so stoked. I haven't put the top down for months and I was able to go for a super fall road trip to Fryeburg Fair with friends today!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I did it! After trying several methods to secure the blown hydraulic line back onto the fitting to avoid the costly repair, I found a solution. Realize that I did this today, refilled the hydraulic oil reservoir, exercised the top a couple times and filled it to the operating level and have put it up and down twice since then today and it hasn't leaked or blown back off after, say, six cycles. Here it is:
First thing is to take the hose connection fitting off of the hydraulic piston and cut the outside sleeve off of the fitting where the hose connected-obviously this does not mean the whole end, you will need to fit the hose back on its proper connection. Then you can see the male part of the fitting where the hose goes back on. I took a TV cable connector, which is made up of an inner sleeve, outer sleeve and nut fixture. From the nut end, I drilled out the inner sleeve so I just had the outer sleeve to work with. I bought a GOOD, Heavy pair of crimpers that are designed for those fittings, slid the sleeve onto the hose, slid the hose back onto the hydraulic fitting and slid the sleeve up to the hydraulic fitting and crimped the sleeve to secure the hose to the hydraulic fitting then installed the hydraulic fitting back to its proper position. Hey, this works, try it. You can get the cable fittings and associated crimpers at Radio Shack or something. I will repost if this connection fails. I am so stoked. I haven't put the top down for months and I was able to go for a super fall road trip to Fryeburg Fair with friends today!!
i had a leaking joint at the front roof ram saab dealer wanted $3k to fix took it apart and replace a 10 cent o ring all fixed

·
Registered
866 Posts
i had a leaking joint at the front roof ram saab dealer wanted $3k to fix took it apart and replace a 10 cent o ring all fixed
mjvran, Do you mean you were able to disassemble a ram, replace an interior o-ring and then reassemble the ram? I've got a few leaky rams I've pulled and was planning on experimenting to see if I could find a way to separate and rejoin the outer cylinder in a manner that will hold the pressure. If you accomplished this, how'd you do it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There’s a u tube how to repair the ram
Mine leaked from an internal o ring
There are 3 read 2 for the hose plugs and one for the internal they are available locally mine from ap seals in Somerton
You use a small hack saw cut the outer skin just before the dimple and the end is a plug with an o ring just tap it out and replace.
having done one it is a 15 min job and $1.50
Look at the you tube

·
Registered
4 Posts
mjvran, Do you mean you were able to disassemble a ram, replace an interior o-ring and then reassemble the ram? I've got a few leaky rams I've pulled and was planning on experimenting to see if I could find a way to separate and rejoin the outer cylinder in a manner that will hold the pressure. If you accomplished this, how'd you do it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts