SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the auto in the 9-2X Aero? I've got a 6-speed Saab 9-3 Aero I'm thinking about dumping because it barely fits into my tiny city garage. I need a smaller car and I think the 9-2X fis the bill, especially with the big discounts going on right now.

But is the automatic any good, or is the manual the only way to go? My understanding is that in turbo cars, there is an advantage to having an automatic, which is that the auto keeps the turbo constantly spooling (no boost drops like while granny shifting a manual trans in a turbo). Who's got one, and how do you like it?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I was test driving the 9-2x I drove the Auto a couple of times in case the wife got one. I took the manual because the Auto felt sluggish at low RPM's. Kind of the same with the manual but it is easier to rev up and lauch a little higher with the manual.

Both were Aero models by the way I didn't drive a Linear so that might have a different feel.

Good luck,
TX92X

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the linear in a 5spd. the loaner i had once was a linear auto. if at all possible, stick with the 5spd, even without the turbo. just my opinion, tho. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
gcbrink said:
My understanding is that in turbo cars, there is an advantage to having an automatic, which is that the auto keeps the turbo constantly spooling (no boost drops like while granny shifting a manual trans in a turbo).
Turbo lag is actually much more prevalent in the automatic transmission version of the 9-2X Aero. Allow me to explain: turbo lag occurs in the Aero when the engine's revolutions are below about 3000RPM. Because of the control that comes with a manual transmission, it is easier to keep engine revolutions within the boost range and therefore have more power on tap at a touch of the accelerator. This is unlike an automatic transmission, which will always be inclined to upshift and decrease revolutions, thereby moving you out of the effective boost range. Also, when you have a heavy foot (and driving a car like the 9-2X Aero, who couldn't?), the car will hesitate more to get up and go. Just some food for thought there, but I didn't want you to go on thinking that turboed cars with automatic transmissions have no lag. In any case, manual vs. automatic in the long run is a performance vs. comfort issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone seen the performance #'s like 0-60, 1/4 mile for the automatic? Are they going to be similar to the manual?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts