SaabCentral Forums banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi you Saab pilots. I would like to share a link to how I changed the ATF on or Renault Espace. I believe the 6speed box are identical to the one in Saab.

Afak this is the easiest method of filling on the Espace since it cancels out opening the filling plug that are very hard to access due to the short engine compartment opening.

Sent fra min XT1562 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm. The forum wont let me share the link yet...

I really like Saabs and have several friends the drives 9-3 and 9-5. And I would have been piloting one myself if I did not need one car with 6 proper seats (not a bus, and that leaves Espace as only option!) And one comfortable, good driving and economical car with Proper ground clearence (Citroen C5)

Sent fra min XT1562 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
philbar71,
Your post was particularly helpful to me as I ran into the filling issue and did not want to once again pay to get the job done. I believe that I payed in the $225 range to have the job done last year as I have my fluid changed yearly. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post, thoroughly intend to do this as soon as I can get the fluid, as my local shop (which specializes in European cars and has done amazing things for me in the past with my Volvo) insisted on flushing and brand new synthetic fluid to the tune of ~$275... I think I'll pass. Gives me an excuse to hang out in the garage anyways, that's where I get my best therapy ;ol;

P.S. The images on page one don't show up for me, could that be because my profile is so new?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I did a drain and fill 3 times with Toyota ATF-WS. I also added in half a bottle of AT-205 at the last fill about 4k miles ago. AT-205 is one of the few additives that actually gets rave reviews on BobIsTheOilGuy and my experience with it has been phenomenal.

It's never shifted better and I dare say it shifts better than new. Love the power and smooth shifting. I'll be treating her to new transmission and engine mounts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, seems to be the same Dino fluid as Aisin though.

Toyota generally won't put out garbage fluids though, I think a lot of Toyota owners read "non-synthetic" and have a hissy fit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am gonna change the trans fluid on my 9-3 Aero this weekend. The pictures on this thread no longer seem to be there. Does anyone know how to retrieve them or where i can get copy to help with my project this weekend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hope this helps!

I am gonna change the trans fluid on my 9-3 Aero this weekend. The pictures on this thread no longer seem to be there. Does anyone know how to retrieve them or where i can get copy to help with my project this weekend?
jglover,

Ok. You didn't specify which engine you have so I assume its the V6. Here is an alternate link for the fluid change with photos:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614521

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sense I am doing a "drain and fill" how many miles should I go before doing the next "drain and fill"? 100 miles, 1000 miles?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Sense I am doing a "drain and fill" how many miles should I go before doing the next "drain and fill"? 100 miles, 1000 miles?
Not sure it matters a lot. I think I read some people get it up to running temp and then re-drain right away.

I just had three of my cars done. I waited one to two weeks just because it was convenient scheduling wise. I would think around the block is too little, but 1000 miles is not necessary. That transmission is mixing things up pretty well and I believe that is all all you are trying to do. I would not agonize over the time, 20-30 miles (?)

I also read three is the optimum number, about 96% new by the third refill

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to revive this, but maybe this could be added to OPs sticky

First off, someone over at saabworld made a pdf version of this, so all of the pictures still show up; http://saabworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12569&d=1402784697

part #s for transmission fill bolt, drain, and check bolt plus gaskets. Id recommend grabbing all of these to be on the safe side, you could getaway without pipe (drain bolt) (pricing is esaabparts as of 10/6/2018)

[93183573] Plug (this one sheered in half on me)
$2.81

[93183574] O-ring
$4.69

[93191051] Pipe
$27.61

[93183578] Seal
$5.40

[11099271] Plug (good luck taking this out without stripping if it hasn't been removed in a while, we successfully broke free with air chisel)
$4.88

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Sorry to revive this, but maybe this could be added to OPs sticky

First off, someone over at saabworld made a pdf version of this, so all of the pictures still show up; http://saabworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12569&d=1402784697

part #s for transmission fill bolt, drain, and check bolt plus gaskets. Id recommend grabbing all of these to be on the safe side, you could getaway without pipe (drain bolt) (pricing is esaabparts as of 10/6/2018)

[93183573] Plug (this one sheered in half on me)
$2.81

[93183574] O-ring
$4.69

[93191051] Pipe
$27.61

[93183578] Seal
$5.40

[11099271] Plug (good luck taking this out without stripping if it hasn't been removed in a while, we successfully broke free with air chisel)
$4.88

done, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread was very helpful and saved my skin! I’ve had a 2009 9-3 Aero V6 for about a month now. It only had 71,000 miles on it when I got it, and I was fairly certain the transmission fluid was never changed. A few weeks ago I noticed a flare every once in a while when going from 2nd to 3rd (more prevalent when I drove it more aggressively), the dreaded high RPM and subsequent “thunk” once it grabbed (particularly when going around corners) and rough downshifting especially in Sport mode. I was hoping it was just dirty/old fluid, but was also expecting the shift solenoids to possibly be sticking, OR a gunked up valve body.

Long story short, when I drained it for the first time in probably 70,000 miles, it didn’t smell or look too bad, but it was very low. I got maybe a cup out of it when taking out the drain plug, and less than 2 quarts total after removing the drain dip tube. I added 3 quarts back in, and now it is running incredible. I’ll do 2 more drain and fills over the next couple of weeks, and then every 30,000 miles hereafter.

Thanks to the many contributors to this thread - it went incredibly well, although for a while I was worried I’d never get the fill plug out. Took me 2 days of strategizing and trying different things until finally a universal, wobble extension and a breaker bar did the trick.

201 - 220 of 227 Posts