SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my sunroof, and I figure the obvious place to start is with the switch mechanism (the assembly of window switches in the center console).

Does anyone know how to diagnose the assembly with a multimeter or otherwise after I remove it? I want to know if the unit is faulty and needs to be replaced, and I'd like to determine this on my workbench rather than having to iterate through removal an installation into the car itself.

I'm going to open it up and clean the contacts per the info in this thread

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167522

but that thread doesn't go into detail about testing the electronics - it's instructions on assembly/disassembly of the mechanical components.

If this ends up needing replacement, does anyone have recommendations on where I can purchase one?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
100 Posts
did you solve this? im also getting into this. ive tested my contacts with the Ohm meter, they work, (and did a volt meter test in the open, hot) but still the window doesn’t work ;D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Edd's your man:

They test and fix the power windows on the Saab. Might have to skip to part 2 or 3. Or you could just watch the entire show. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you solve this? im also getting into this. ive tested my contacts with the Ohm meter, they work, (and did a volt meter test in the open, hot) but still the window doesn’t work ;D
In the end, I opened up the switch mechanism, cleaned off all the contacts as well as I could, reassembled and reinstalled the mechanism...and found that it was still bleeding current (I didn't have a multimeter for any of this, so I had to test it the "dumb" way by seeing if my battery again went dead). So, I popped the switch mechanism back out, and removed the contact for the sunroof switch. That seemed to solve the problem.

I should have taken photos of the innards. I think the sunroof switch/circuit includes an inductor or voltage transformer (it's a copper winding of some sort), and that must be what's shorted somewhere - probably because of 10 years' worth of coffee, water, etc. that gets sloshed onto those switches!

For parts, www.thesaabsite.com has replacement parts. It's ~$300 for an OEM part. Ouch!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You are not alone.
I too, have a power window that is recalicient....it works UP but not down....And I have found nothing wrong...
When reinstalled the motor the last time a few days ago the unit works OK ...once...then twice.....but the third time.....no dice;oops::confused:
Measuring the resistance caused by corrosion is difficult......may a special ohmeter.....Mine are cheapies - all of them....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts