SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a clunk in the front end from time to time, but primarily upon acceleration. Almost never on small speed bumps. How can I test car for bad upper suspension mounts?

This is a 1996 900SE 2.0 Turbo Convertible, 5-speed manual transmission, and 107,000 miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That sounds more like it could be ur tranny or one of your engine mounts since its not happening while going over bumps.. Also could be something by the serpentine belt area.
I hear a clunk in the front end from time to time, but primarily upon acceleration. Almost never on small speed bumps. How can I test car for bad upper suspension mounts?

This is a 1996 900SE 2.0 Turbo Convertible, 5-speed manual transmission, and 107,000 miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
817 Posts
Roger on that one. When these motor mounts (including a transmission mount) go bad the engine rocks violently on its mounts from all the torque and you get some very disconcerting knocking sounds.

You're going to have to get under there to inspect these mounts to see which one(s) have failed. They will most likely look the part.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I 2 need to inspect mine sometime soon although mine dont sound that bad but its not as smooth as it seems it should be.
Roger on that one. When these motor mounts (including a transmission mount) go bad the engine rocks violently on its mounts from all the torque and you get some very disconcerting knocking sounds.

You're going to have to get under there to inspect these mounts to see which one(s) have failed. They will most likely look the part.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Good advice.
These areas are important and more likely than the suspension.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The transmission mount is cake to check. I just replaced mine last week. All you have to do is remove your driver's side air dam and look up there with a flashlight. If it is hosed, it will be really really obvious. Here's what was left of mine:

The rubber portion was torn completely from the actual mount. I could shine a flashlight at it from on top of the intercooler pipe and see the light.

Somehow, my engine mounts were still in good shape and that's a little unusual. So, be prepared to do all three.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will report back soon...

I'll give it a look in 4 days and report back as I'm leaving on a trip.

There's just the three motor mounts AND one transmission mount. Right?

Thanks for all of the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts