SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a pretty bad shake under acceleration, and when turning left. I'm fairly certain its an inner cv joint, but considering it mainly does it on left turns, and right turns are fairly smooth, what side should I start with replacing? I'm leaning towards the passenger side due to weight shifting but I'm curious if there's common knowledge on this that I'm unable to find.

· Registered
20,544 Posts
My understanding has always been that it's the outside joint. So turning left, the outside CV joint would be the right one.

Usually they tend to click on low speed turns as the indication of a bad CV joint. Have you gotten the car up on stands and shaken the various sections of the axles? There should be a little play in the tripod/companion joint but not a lot. There should be zero play in the wheel bearings (big pry bar under tire). Also use a pry bar to pry the control arms and check the ball joints. Look at the stanchion arms and see if the bushings are letting them rest on the subframe when on the ground. Check the play in the carrier bearing on the passenger side.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding has always been that it's the outside joint. So turning left, the outside CV joint would be the right one.

Usually they tend to click on low speed turns as the indication of a bad CV joint. Have you gotten the car up on stands and shaken the various sections of the axles? There should be a little play in the tripod/companion joint but not a lot. There should be zero play in the wheel bearings (big pry bar under tire). Also use a pry bar to pry the control arms and check the ball joints. Look at the stanchion arms and see if the bushings are letting them rest on the subframe when on the ground. Check the play in the carrier bearing on the passenger side.
I believe clicking is usually associated with the outside cv joint, while rough acceleration is generally attributed to the inner one. My brother had a very similar shake when his axle was going out though I don't think turning impacted the feeling of it. Once I get my convertible back on the road I suppose I'll start ripping the passenger side apart and see what I find.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Companion shaft is where the actual issue was. There was pretty severe pitting to the inner walls of it. I've not rectified the issue yet as I still need to find time to pull the shaft out of my parts car to swap it in. I'm not sure if I'm going to replace the inner tripod yet since it looks to be in pretty decent shape. The bearings seemed to stay greased, but as is common with these the grease around the companion shaft walls dried from the exhaust heat and took the brunt of the damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts