SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna do the CVs, because thats what someone said matches my shudders, but any way to tell if I should do ball joints?

Do these cars go through ball joints at about 130K? Will my continued driving with some CV shudder ( only happens mostly on two curves of about 1 miles total daily) have likely wrecked the joints?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Only happens on two curves? Any possibility those curves have developed a “washboard” surface? Can’t you replicate the shudder elsewhere?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unless you get a clicking noise with the wheels turned at ANY speed, it is not your cv joints.

It is either the ball joint on the control arm or the tie rod end.

With 130k on a 25yo car you should really look into rebuilding your suspension. The rubber bushings are almost guaranteed to be shot and the ball joints are definitely worn. It is also possible that you are still on factory shocks which are likely dead.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Unless you get a clicking noise with the wheels turned at ANY speed, it is not your cv joints.
Well, that's not so. The 9-3 (and virtually all FWD cars) have inner and outer CVs. The inner ones are not substantially affected by steering angle, and are not prone to clicking like the outer ones are.

But, blown struts can also cause a shuddering feeling at specific speeds. A sensation not unlike a wheel out of balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts