SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for the knowledgeable — is this really an Aero?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=490844417

Shouldn't it have the Aero front air dam? It looks like a typical Asian import that's been accessorised and pimped up a bit, and has suddenly become an Aero. Much the same way they rebadge a 6-cylinder Mercedes as a 560SEL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be interesting to know what makes an Aero and Aero, that's all. I always thought there was something special about the Aero that made it so highly prized, and there was more to it than just having a full-pressure turbo. Didn't they have a red box or some other ****?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I might be wrong but I always thought that an Aero was the same as an SPG...just that Aero was a copyrighted name used in N.A. by General Motors.

Ps: Looks like one. Would a VIN check show?

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I've seen that car before...:confused:

Aero's/SPG's/T16S's are all similar in that they were the top of the line trimmed FPT c900 for there markets but they are not all the same. It looks like OZ market Aero to me. Which I believe came with colour coded skirts/bumpers, whaletail, vent covers, rear wash kit(?), and redbox(?). I think the later/run out aeros also came with the carlsson suede front seats.

Found it! ...http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=966548&postcount=225

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crikey, you've got a good memory for Saabs! I don't think he'll get $10k for his Aero, not in these uncertain times.

If I had the funds I'd buy the other Saab, fix up the head gasket, and sell it. It looks great in the pictures, as they always do, but I've seen it in the flesh and it needs a whole lot of TLC, as it's quite shabby and looks like it's lived on the streets for a few years.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This looks like an original TurboS..

The colorcoded skirtset, whaletail, ventcovers and louvres were optional on a TurboS but the rest of the car looks original to me.

A 900 classic Aero doesn't exist originally, due to copyright from Opel (GM) at that time. The skirtset is called "Aero", but there was never a model named Aero. ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's an Aero S (not just an Aero)… so was the last of the FPT Aeros and I reckon it is probably well worth around NZ$7k (if not a tad more). Try and find another that looks that good. Looks pretty clean and straight to me.

It does have the Aero front air dam… just that it is black (not red to match the body colour). Old one must have been trashed so they have replaced it… just needs to be painted the same as body.

An Aero essentially had the larger whale tail spoiler, side vent covers, the aero kit, the Aero S had the suede inserts in the seats… the Australian Aero had an Alpine Surround sound stereo as standard (not sure about NZ delivered ones). I believe the 1992 Aero S will also be LUCAS electrics and injection (not Bosch).

Well worth a premium over a 900T i think.

Good luck!

Krizzie said:
A 900 classic Aero doesn't exist originally, due to copyright from Opel (GM) at that time. The skirtset is called "Aero", but there was never a model named Aero.
Of course there was a Saab 900 Aero and it was named as such! I drive an 1988 900 Aero and it says on my service/delivery book that it is a 900 Aero. For the Australia (and NZ market) there was definitely a model delivered called a Classic 900 Aero. USA and perhaps Europe was probably different?

I might be wrong but I always thought that an Aero was the same as an SPG...just that Aero was a copyrighted name used in N.A. by General Motors.
The SPG is slightly different to the (IMO better looking) 900 Aero… in that the SPG never came standard with the larger whale tail and side vent covers (amongst other things). Also from 1987+ the Aero kit was colour coded to match the body colour… different to the SPG in that the Aero kit on them were always in the dark grey. So a few slight differences between the different markets.

sab

·
Registered
475 Posts
sab aero said:
It's an Aero S (not just an Aero)… so was the last of the FPT Aeros and I reckon it is probably well worth around NZ$7k (if not a tad more). Try and find another that looks that good. Looks pretty clean and straight to me.
It doesn't look that good to me.. The paintwork could be better especially the skirtset.

sab aero said:
An Aero essentially had the larger whale tail spoiler, side vent covers, the aero kit, the Aero S had the suede inserts in the seats… the Australian Aero had an Alpine Surround sound stereo as standard (not sure about NZ delivered ones). I believe the 1992 Aero S will also be LUCAS electrics and injection (not Bosch).
The Whaletail and ventcovers were certainly not standard on the TurboS model. Maybe over in Australia but not in Europe or the US.

I'm not sure about the Suede Seats and Leather doorpanels, thought those were optional too, same as the Redbox APC

The US never had Lucas injection only Bosch till the very end of production. Europe had Lucas on all the turbo models from MY90 till the end.

sab aero said:
Of course there was a Saab 900 Aero and it was named as such! I drive an 1988 900 Aero and it says on my service/delivery book that it is a 900 Aero. For the Australia (and NZ market) there was definitely a model delivered called a Classic 900 Aero. USA and perhaps Europe was probably different?
As I said, the name "Aero" was already in use by GM that's why they went for the Turbo-S/Turbo name for the top of the line 900's. You can even see it at the back of the trunk, there was never an original "Aero" badge for the 900.

Maybe Australia had different names, but for Europe and the US there was never an Aero as a model for the 900 classic.

sab aero said:
The SPG is slightly different to the (IMO better looking) 900 Aero… in that the SPG never came standard with the larger whale tail and side vent covers (amongst other things). Also from 1987+ the Aero kit was colour coded to match the body colour… different to the SPG in that the Aero kit on them were always in the dark grey. So a few slight differences between the different markets.
The Aerokit was always darkgrey (Odoardo grey 176, in the 80's it was a different code, but still dark grey) also on the later models.
Color matched skirtsets were available as an option, some countries had special models which had body color matching skirtset (In Switzerland for instance) but those were limited "specials".

The whaletail, Ventcovers, Louvres and so on, were all optional on even the most loaded factory 900. Atleast in Europe and the US..

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
some UK Aero's were LPT, had the tupperware, I broke a gbox gone/rotten one a few weeks ago(stood 4yrs) no wood dash no leather seats std whaletail with rear wiper, directional alloys that's about it, it was only when I got the log book that I found it was an aero, just thought it was a std 3dr lpt, was no different to so 900SE LPT's I have owned except the tupperware.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Krizzie> All taken on board and I am sure what you say applies to Europe and perhaps USA is spot on… but considering the OP is in NZ then the specs for USA and Europe for a C900 Aero (or SPG) are kind of moot. NZ got delivered the same spec cars as we did in Australia (as Saab Australia over here handled delivery to the long white cloud), so hence my replies are in reference to in what our markets down here received. It was different to Europe and USA.

So indeed the aero kit was colour matched to the cars and they were delivered as stock with the larger whale tail and side vent covers (and all else I mentioned). The later "S" model was called the 900 Aero S not the "T16 S" down here. And the 1985+ ones were called the Aero and sold/specced/delivered/called as such in all literature here. We most definitely got an 900 Aero model Saab.

sab :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts