SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my first procedure write up. After all the help people have given me, I want to contribute, even though its a relatively simple procedure. For our overseas friends swap 'trunk' with 'boot'. :lol:

A bit of history, my 99 9-5 sedan had the original trunk shocks. They were failing signified by a seriously heavy trunk to open.

First, you'll need 2 replacement shocks. Several site sponsors have them, I got mine from eEuroparts, for USD$19.90 a shock. You'll need a small flat head screw driver and maybe a pair of needle nose pliers.

First you'll see this. Old Shocks

Then you'll need to remove it. Start at the bottom, use a small screwdriver and insert it between the clip and push back. Insert screwdriver here

This will spread the metal tabs on the inside of the ball and socket on the other side and you simply push off the lower socket.

You then can pop the top socket off relatively easy. It is MUCH easier if you unlock the clasp on it (don't know the correct term). Pull this clasp out The clasp might be quite stuck so you may have to use needle nose pliers here. This is what the clasp looks like Funny clasp around top of shock

You are now here No shocks!. On the new shocks, undo the clip mentioned above and slip on. They come with some lube stuff already applied inside. Replace the clip and push the bottom socket on. You don't need to spread the clip mentioned at first above, but it will help slide on if you do.

Repeat on the other side and you are done! It should have taken you maybe 10 minutes maximum...

(for some reason if try to insert image it doesn't add the image in... don't know whats wrong).

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thanks fusionrx!

I have added it to the FAQ :cool:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wonder how much a dealer would have charged to do this.

Probably a couple hundred for "shop time" and "materials".... :)

Anyone know actual numbers?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hood/Bonnet Strut Removal

Need a new Hood/Bonnet Strut?

Take a small screwdriver and pry off the metal clip on the top connection:

Here's a close up:

Then move to the bottom and repeat the process:

A sharp rap will knock the connection off of the ball. IMPORTANT:You'll need to prop up the hood to keep it from falling on you!

The new strut simpy presses on with your hand:

Here's a shot of the removed clips:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts