SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my accordian-looking boot with a leather one but I don't want to break anything. How is this accomplished?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shooting from the hip here:

There is one or more torx screws around the plastic base of the shift boot that has to be removed. Make sure the plastic base is loose before pulling on it or you will crack it.

The shift knob can be removed by pulling firmly straight upward. It takes a good jerk (I just did this recently). Don't hit yourself in the teeth. You might need to get situated right over the knob for a good pull.

I think that's it, but someone can chime in if there is more...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Knob pull procedure. This is Saab's factory procedure. The way they decribe it, it is way too involved. Use for guidance only, it can be done in place.

Also, I doubt you need to replace the knob with new:

Removal

1. Remove the gear lever.
  2. Secure the gear lever in a vice.
  3. Apply tape around the driver, directly below the knob, so that the driver is not damaged or scratched when it is removed.
  4. Place a 32 mm open ended wrench under the edge of the knob.
    • Carefully tap with a plastic hammer on the key from below.
    • Lift out knob and driver.
  1. Remove the tape.
    • Remove the knob from the driver by pressing in the three plastic hooks on the driver with a small screwdriver.
    • (The hooks are accessible under figures 1, 5 and 4 on the knob.)
    • Note the steel spring below the knob.
NOTE: A removed gear lever knob must not be installed again, but changed for a new.

The bottom flange of the gaiter/boot is just snapped arond the frame and can flip right off - IIRC.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Note. You MUST have a new gear lever knob. Later 9000 cannot be reused. Early 9000 had shift knobs which could come off in your hand so they changed the fixing method. Most mechanics cut the old one off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chengny and Superaero.

The leather boot on my 9000 Aero parts car is attached to the reverse lockout shaft. It looks like the previous owner epoxied the knob back into place.

It sounds like you advise against trying to re-use the knob. Darn, because a new one costs $50.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hey, you can try to re- use the old shift knob. However, if you cannot AND you cannot find a new one then you are hooped. Before SAAB went bankrupt it was no problem to take a few risks when you knew at worst a trip to the dealer would fix your problem. Now, you have to scope the parts availability before you take any chances with removing old parts, especially any trim or body parts. I am advised new sun visors are going to be NLA very soon, just for example.

My Master Tech SAAB mechanic says he doesn't bother trying to save the old shifter knob, he cuts them off. It is tricky to save one and his labour costs don't warrant trying.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Knob pull procedure. This is Saab's factory procedure. The way they decribe it, it is way too involved. Use for guidance only, it can be done in place.

Also, I doubt you need to replace the knob with new:

Removal

1. Remove the gear lever.
  2. Secure the gear lever in a vice.
  3. Apply tape around the driver, directly below the knob, so that the driver is not damaged or scratched when it is removed.
  4. Place a 32 mm open ended wrench under the edge of the knob.
    • Carefully tap with a plastic hammer on the key from below.
    • Lift out knob and driver.
  1. Remove the tape.
    • Remove the knob from the driver by pressing in the three plastic hooks on the driver with a small screwdriver.
    • (The hooks are accessible under figures 1, 5 and 4 on the knob.)
    • Note the steel spring below the knob.
NOTE: A removed gear lever knob must not be installed again, but changed for a new.

The bottom flange of the gaiter/boot is just snapped arond the frame and can flip right off - IIRC.
Are these the "proper" instructions/way of removing the later CS style gear lever knob? I have a refinished wood gear knob I would like to install to replace my tired leather one with. How does the replacement gear knob secure to the lever?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thanks Chengny and Superaero.

The leather boot on my 9000 Aero parts car is attached to the reverse lockout shaft. It looks like the previous owner epoxied the knob back into place.

It sounds like you advise against trying to re-use the knob. Darn, because a new one costs $50.
Other way to do this is remove the entire shifter mech, and swap for a leather one. Also replace bushings while out.

If you can't find one and are not in a hurry I have a couple spare leather ones, will be in Mpls in the next couple of months, let me know if this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts