SaabCentral Forums banner

341 - 360 of 367 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts
I'm trying to add BT to my 08 9-3, i just ran into the same issues a couple of other had. I picked up used HU (12842427) and found that i'm unable to program it to a Bose system.
One post had two part numbers (12779270 or 12842428) that are believed to be compatible with the Bose system. These are getting hard to find and have been replaced by a newer part number (12849449).

Does anyone have a complete part number list of the HU's that will work with the Bose system?

In mean time, if anyone needs at non-base HU, drop me a PM.

Thanks
We never quite got that far. Only a handful of us have done the swap so not much data to go off of. Best bet is to try and hunt one down.

·
Registered
304 Posts
another run at it

We never quite got that far. Only a handful of us have done the swap so not much data to go off of. Best bet is to try and hunt one down.
Thanks for the reply as well as for all the information in this thread.
I'm going to give it one more shot, tho i wanted to go at it with more scientific "guess" of what radio to pickup.

After locating a bunch of 9-3 NG radios on Hollander. I then got into the details of the car it came from and then found the VIN. I then ran the VIN at Saabsite to get the details/options on that car. It took a while, but i finally found a couple of cars that had both 11 speakers AND Bluetooth. There is a low percent that have both, that was an eyeopener, as most had 7 speakers.
Bluetooth was on about 80 percent, but i did found some 09-11 that didn't not have it at all. This might be why some guys had to run the two wires.?

It is my hope that the differences between what works and what doesn't is the software/programing done at the factory.

My Radio was ordered/purchased and should have it by the weekend. Got fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Help

Hello, i am a new member here but long time saab fan i currently have a 2008 turbo x manual that had the stock non navigation radio, i ended up buying a used nav on ebay from 2009 it works great, i ran two wires from pin 4,5 to j3 plug on vcim to make steering wheel buttons to work and voice commands are kinda fun. i ran two more wires form the two empty spots on the radio plug and into the vcim because the problem i was having was not being able to hear onstar talk and i bought a bluetooth vcim. It works but it does not sound right if i turn up volume high i hear loud screeching and its very annoying and when onstar is working it sounds like i am echoing its very weird. The reason why i ran 4 wires is because i bought a wrecked turbo x that had factory nav and traced wires back to stereo from vcim and there is 4 extra wires that are unaccounted on my non nav turbo x. I also tested another vcim and that was not the problem, the only thing i may suspect is on the black j3 plug it has three wires one is black and i could not figure out where it may go.

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts
Hello, i am a new member here but long time saab fan i currently have a 2008 turbo x manual that had the stock non navigation radio, i ended up buying a used nav on ebay from 2009 it works great, i ran two wires from pin 4,5 to j3 plug on vcim to make steering wheel buttons to work and voice commands are kinda fun. i ran two more wires form the two empty spots on the radio plug and into the vcim because the problem i was having was not being able to hear onstar talk and i bought a bluetooth vcim. It works but it does not sound right if i turn up volume high i hear loud screeching and its very annoying and when onstar is working it sounds like i am echoing its very weird. The reason why i ran 4 wires is because i bought a wrecked turbo x that had factory nav and traced wires back to stereo from vcim and there is 4 extra wires that are unaccounted on my non nav turbo x. I also tested another vcim and that was not the problem, the only thing i may suspect is on the black j3 plug it has three wires one is black and i could not figure out where it may go.
Screeching is because you tapped to the wrong pins on the VCIM. Try every combination, you'll find the correct ones eventually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have tried every one the weird thing is when i unplug the j3 connector it goes away but then steering wheel buttons do not work i literally tried every single pin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes sir I had someone keep pushing onstar and i would just go through each pin on my 2008 with factory nav there is 3 wires on the j3 plug in the vcim i connected 2 for the mic but not sure where the black one goes

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes sir I had someone keep pushing onstar and i would just go through each pin on my 2008 with factory nav there is 3 wires on the j3 plug in the vcim i connected 2 for the mic but not sure where the black one goes
At least with all of the research I've done, I thought it was determined that you cannot have both voice commands and onstar when you add navigation to a non nav 9-3. Somewhere I read said it may have to do with antennas. I'm not sure your set up, but I'm using the metra antenna adapters. Maybe both onstar and voice could work if instead of adapters, an additional antenna cable to the existing shark fin antenna was ran? (Kind of thinking out loud on that one)

On another note I may have misread, but you shouldn't need additional wires to the VCIM to make the steering controls work. What wires, if any, did you modify to hook up the nav head unit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello dark i used an antenna adapter for the fm and just a vss harness for nav to work and added a gps antenna after i did all that i had no steering wheel button function I bought a salvaged saab 9-3 turbo x with factory nav and traced the wires from vcim to navigation and the non nav cars are missing 4 wires on the black j3 connector two wires run to the connector on the navigation on pin4,5i believe it is the mic this got me steering wheel controls and voice commands. Their are two more wires that are stated in this thread that run from pin 7,15 on head unit plug back to vcim when i hooked them up i can now hear onstar but it sounds very bad and quiet i turn it up louder and i hear a screeching one thing is on the j3 plug there is a black wire that i couldn't figure out where it might go maybe that is my problem but in total navigation cars vs non nav are missing a total of 4 wires to the vcim

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had to run 2 wires from pin 4 and 5 to the j3 connector on the vcim for steering wheel controls to work
I think I understand now. You're referring to steering wheel controls as the ones on the left you press for voice commands, not on the right for volume, etc. Yes, need to hook 2 wires you mentioned from HU to J3 (pins #2 & #4) of VCIM to make voice commands work (as you already know at this point).

In my previous post I was inquiring how you hooked up the nav HU if you didn't have the volume steering wheel controls bc those should still work with the HU swap with no additional wire modifications. Only additional hard wires needed for nav install are for VSS and the 2 going to VCIM for voice commands.

Unfortunately, I'm no assistance with getting both voice commands and onstar working together as I don't use the latter. Goodluck with your exploration and report back with your findings. I'm curious ifthe retrofit is possible.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update.
Got a little further along. Got my new/used HU and this one I was able to program to my Bose system and now I have SWC. I don’t get any OnStar audio when I press the blue button, tho the audio mutes and the radio displays the phone icon.
I now need to run the two wires from the VCIM to the HU. Got fingers crossed that this will do the trick.

A couple of hours later and much thought: I just tried something and things are starting to make sense on my 08.

Prior to picking up a another HU, Onstar (no BT) was working. I press the "phone" button on the dash and would get the standard "Ready". Tho the SWC would not work.
After replacing the original HU with another later model and marring it, i found that the the SWC works but i no longer had audio from OnStar (like a hand full of others). I was just about to start running the cable to make the "two wire" connection when i thought of an idea that made a little more sense to me. Instead of running the wires from K16 Pin 7 and 15 (MonoMix's) to the VCIM, i jumped K14 pin 4 (phone+) to K16 pin 7 (MonoMix+) and K14 pin5 (phone-) to K16 pin 15 (MonoMix-).

This gives me both SWC and OnStar audio. I guess that when the HU software/hardware was changed to allow BT/SWC they also changed what pins it receives the OnStar audio on. The old HU received it on the "Phone" inputs and the newer BT HU receives it on the "MonoMix" inputs. Weird but true in my case.

My next step is to move the wires from the Phone inputs and move them to the MonoMix inputs and then proceed unto swapping the VCIM. More updates to follow.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Finally!!

I completed the task of moving the two wires from one radio connector to the other and swapped the old VCIM for the used BT VCIM. (details above)

BAMM...., Bluetooth is working as it should. The radio display shows the phone number.

The only issue, is the OnStar LED is lit red. I did try removing and adding the Onstar controller, no luck. It is also throwing two DTC. I think i have a bum controller, but the bluetooth part of it is working just fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You added the onstar with tech2? and what headunit p/n# are you using?
Yes, I was adding and removing the VCIM with a tech2. The interesting part, when I first turn the car on the LED is green and then goes red in 15 sec’s. The DTC are B1000 and B2470, one has something to do with the antenna and the other internal controller error.

The part number for the HU is 13319858. This HU was able to work with the Bose system and gave me SWC. Though to find a HU that worked with the Bose system, I used the VIN decoder and the VIN the radio came from to check if it had 11 speakers.

As stated prior, I think the key for non-nav HU to work with the SWC is looking for the inputs of MonoMix on pins 7 and 15. The HU that don’t have SWC these pins are labeled N/C.

I have a HU-non Bose that has SWC if anyone is interested. Feel free to send me a PM.

Attachments

341 - 360 of 367 Posts