SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise how to replace transmission filter on my 1999 Saab 93. First, where is it? Second, any procedures to do it correctly. Thanks;ol;

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've written up the procedure in the past:

In short --

Fully support the engine
Drop the front cross member
Drop the transmission
Remove the bell housing
Remove the input shaft cover
Replace the filter
Reassemble in reverse of disassembly.

While open, its a great time to inspect the clutches.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
why would you want to replace it? and im pretty sure its a strainer in there and not a filter.

While it is simply a strainer, it's an exceptionally fine one and they are well known to clog up and trash the rest of the transmission.

While a true pain in the rear, changing that $10 filter is far less expensive than replacing the entire thing. It's to a point where getting the transmission rebuilt will exceed the value of the car and for many, even a used box and the labor to install it starts pushing the envelope.

Honestly, if the auto trans needs to be removed for any reason (say a rear main oil seal), I'd highly suggest changing the trans filter.

While radical, one option would be to install a re-located drain plug in the bottom of the transmission, and using that hole, punch out the center of the strainer. Install an in-line filter in one of the transmission cooler lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts