SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I had very dirty wheel emblems and I decided to clean them because they were basically black.
I read somewhere that Goo gone pro-power was a good cleaner so I bought it at walmart yesterday. I put them in the liquid but nothing. :(
IMG_0407.jpg
So I tried a white board cleaner and it worked wonderful. :)
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
As you can see they are like new but not quite yet. They are very sticky. So I use alcohol for a clean-up, dry them and then I rub them hard with a clean cloth or even my finger to get rid of that sticky stuff.
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
Every time I apply alcohol you can see the emblem very shining and transparent, like new. But when you dry them up, they are like mate and not so new. So I though what I can use to make them permanently shining.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shining like when I applied alcohol.
IMG_0413.jpg
And then I thought about varnishing them. I bought a varnisher clear gloss at walmart and apply a tea spoon on each of them and move them to spread the liquid uniformly.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

So there you have, like new. :)

Make sure that when you apply the varnish, there is not tiny bubbles or any other particle left. If so, apply more on it to clear it up.
Wait for 4 hours and done.
You can give a second coat of varnish if you want.
So now they are ready, like new and protected against the rain, dirtiness and sun.

:lol:

By the way, I had a problem with my alarm, going off any time. I set the alarm for only doors from customize button and it solved the issue. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
How'd u pop them off? I bought a new set on eBay for 14 bucks but not sure how to get the old ones off...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, with small sharp knife. Insert it from any side carefully and then like peeling an orange, going moving gently around under it cutting the soft glue. The sticker bottom is aluminum.
But the stickers you bought aren't the standard measures. They are 55mm and the OEM are 60mm. :eek:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi, with small sharp knife. Insert it from any side carefully and then like peeling an orange, going moving gently around under it cutting the soft glue. The sticker bottom is aluminum.
But the stickers you bought aren't the standard measures. They are 55mm and the OEM are 60mm. :eek:
Cool thanks. And Yah they're 5mm smaller so I have to be more careful about centering them but for 14bucks....its all good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
By the way, I had a problem with my alarm, going off any time. I set the alarm for only doors from customize button and it solved the issue. :)
Looks awesome, I might take the opportunity to repair mine! I'm curious how you had access to the alarm settings in the customize menu? I was under the impression that those options could only be changed via TechII.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Looks awesome, I might take the opportunity to repair mine! I'm curious how you had access to the alarm settings in the customize menu? I was under the impression that those options could only be changed via TechII.
Don't wanna answer for the OP, but the setting is on my menu also but if u switch to doors only, u disable the alarm entirely I think and it only allows keyless entry bit I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
How'd u pop them off? I bought a new set on eBay for 14 bucks but not sure how to get the old ones off...
safest way would be to pop them out from the back while the wheel is out. i personally wouldn't put a knife in there to pop them off, up to you tho.

as for cleaning them, the rubbing alcohol is all you need. i just fill a typical red plastic cup up about 3/4 with the rubbing alcohol and let all 4 caps sit in it for about 10-15 minutes, then all you have to do is lightly wipe them clean, no effort/elbow grease needed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine are nearly jet black with dirt. I found a vendor on ebay that sells the exact OE replacements for around $30 for all 4.

If you have time to do the process though this can definitely save you money. Im just finicky about things like this though so I just replaced mine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is dirtiness a proper word? Pretty sure 4 hours to clean some silly center cap is maximum overkill when alcohol will do it in 5 seconds. Sound like your ready for the next step of: ;ol; www.kalecoauto.com

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used Meguire's headlight lens refinisher/cleaner. It comes with the headlight restorer kit. Takes all the haze off the emblem, and gives them a protective coating. They still look brand new after 3 months on the car.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
safest way would be to pop them out from the back while the wheel is out. i personally wouldn't put a knife in there to pop them off, up to you tho.

as for cleaning them, the rubbing alcohol is all you need. i just fill a typical red plastic cup up about 3/4 with the rubbing alcohol and let all 4 caps sit in it for about 10-15 minutes, then all you have to do is lightly wipe them clean, no effort/elbow grease needed.
I've been doing roughly the same thing as you for the past 3 years or so. I generally let the caps dry for a while before putting them back on the wheels.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Shining like when I applied alcohol.
View attachment 29886
And then I thought about varnishing them. I bought a varnisher clear gloss at walmart and apply a tea spoon on each of them and move them to spread the liquid uniformly.

View attachment 29887

View attachment 29888

View attachment 29889

So there you have, like new. :)

Make sure that when you apply the varnish, there is not tiny bubbles or any other particle left. If so, apply more on it to clear it up.
Wait for 4 hours and done.
You can give a second coat of varnish if you want.
So now they are ready, like new and protected against the rain, dirtiness and sun.

:lol:

The varnish will yellow due to suns UV rays, try to use a 2 part pourable acrylic you get at a craft store. It flows over the emblem when u pour it, then self levels to a hard glossy clear surface.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oil polishing Center caps

Top left & right are before oil polishing

Bottom left : after oil polishing with light oil and 0000 steel wool

Bottom right : after oil polishing w/ light oil and 0000 steel wool and clear coat.

It a workout . Put 2 drops of oil on cap and circular motions for around 5 to 10 minutes depends how dirty they are. Wash off oil with dish soap and warm water. Dry and clear . 2 dusting coat and then 1 good wet coat . DON'T RUN the clear!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't get this...

Hello all,

Mine are also very dirty!

But I can't see how to get to the metal emblem, mine are black on reverse with that metal clip, so they can hold on the wheel and the facia is in with transparent plastic.

Do you have to split those two plastic to get into the assembly and to get the emblem. Or I can simply remove the cap and put it like this in alcohol?

Thanks for your answer

Best regards,

·
Registered
199 Posts
well I dont know how anything would get on the inside of the emblem unless they arent sealed right . At that point I would replace them. But if it doesnt feel smooth on the outside then its dirty on the outside. If it is smooth then replace.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I did a writeup on this as well as some others already. I find using GOJO hand cleaner to get the dirt off, and then a headlight polishing kit I had from my lights worked perfectly. And u don't have to put any clear coat or varnish or anything on them after they are clean.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts