SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you might want to remove the silencer in the intake pipe to hear the spooling a little better or maybe it's filled with oil and you want it out, or maybe your a moddaholic (my issue)
ok first you locate the pipe containing the the silencer. its up fron tucked between the radiator and the cat. and above the a/c lines then you either unscrew or cut the giant hose clamps, depending on the degree of rustation. then you will yank that beyotch out. the next part is tricky so pay attention:cheesy:, figure out which end contains the silencer. now since you're never putting it back in, you take your snap-on pick and break every tab. now take said pick and hook into the tortilla looking silencer side and yank hard. observe how much oil is all over that thing, it is normal. clean up the pipe with solvent that will dissolve quickly like shop-solv or brakleen. now go over to the hardware store and get some new hose clamps and run them through the little grooves in the rubber elbows. insert pipe so that the flanges are beyond the clamps and tighten it all up. and here's some pictures.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Should also be noted that only the LPT cars have the silencer. The HOT and Viggen cars don't have this. If you are unsure about which car you have, the LPT cars will have the intercooler in/out on the same side, which is the passenger side. The HOT and Viggen will have the "in" on the passenger side, and "out" on the drivers side.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Mine had a silencer in it and it was a high pressure turbo and had the "dual pass" IC ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes all those bits are in the dumpster!

and i think the lpt has in/out on the driver's side when it's a LHD mine was anyway so i asume that comment was about RHD cars. it is still the same place in the car, just the driver changes sides:)

UPDATE: the sound is good in town but anywhere else you can't hear it inside the car you only hear it if it's bouncing back to you off cement. maybe my 3"pipe will take care of that in the next few weeks

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Note: LPT really only correctly describes the 150HP model. The 185HP model (which had the silencer) is a "standard" turbo. The HOT is the "high output" turbo.

The standard turbos through 1999 have the silencer (t5-185HP).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Note: LPT really only correctly describes the 150HP model. The 185HP model (which had the silencer) is a "standard" turbo. The HOT is the "high output" turbo.

The standard turbos through 1999 have the silencer (t5-185HP).
So I'm guessing Bogan had the "standard" turbo? Been reading in the forum for awhile and as memory serves me, no one ever mentioned a "standard" turbo, it was either LPT or HOT :confused:. I know I didn't have the silencer. Oh well, sorry about the misinformation as I was trying to avoid that in the 1st place for anyone with HOT cars reading the OP and wondering why they couldn't find one.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
So I'm guessing Bogan had the "standard" turbo? Been reading in the forum for awhile and as memory serves me, no one ever mentioned a "standard" turbo, it was either LPT or HOT :confused:. I know I didn't have the silencer. Oh well, sorry about the misinformation as I was trying to avoid that in the 1st place for anyone with HOT cars reading the OP and wondering why they couldn't find one.
I'm assuming he had a "standard". The only place you see that phrase actually used is in the Saab VIN designations.

The LPT (150HP) was available in Europe, I don't know about .au where Bogan is or other countries.

The LPT has a very simplified control system so you essentially have to make it a "standard" before staging it. The standard and HOT are, as noted above, the same motor, same control system - HOT cars just get a cross flow intercooler and a spiked ECU for the T5. In the case of the T7, they all get the HOT intercooler, but the HOT gets the ECU change and the TD04 too.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
We got The LPT and the standard. I don't think we got "HOT" models out here.

We got Viggens, But not many.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I wonder if this insulation is really to silence the turbo. Maybe it's there to reduce damage due to a backfire or to limit turbine blades from making their way into the throttle body and then the engine. Just thinking out loud... Ron

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
I don't think so Ron. If you look at the construction, it clearly looks like a muffler.

Doorcheese: I see it as a fairly significant intake restriction. Do you know of Dyno tests that have shown otherwise... or do you have some other basis for speculation?

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
I was thinking the same, I dunno why saab would purposely restrict the airflow... :confused:
Well, around 1999 or so they started selling factory ECU upgrades via the Saab Catalog that they could have been putting in cars as an option and didn't... so sometimes their actions are hard to explain.

But, I know there was a big push by GM to make the turbo engines act like "regular" engines so that the public wouldn't know they were driving a turbo. I think the turbo whine was something they were trying to dispose of. You should see the muffler setup on the T7 air box intake (but no in-pipe silencer... they got rid of the restriction).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, around 1999 or so they started selling factory ECU upgrades via the Saab Catalog that they could have been putting in cars as an option and didn't... so sometimes their actions are hard to explain.

But, I know there was a big push by GM to make the turbo engines act like "regular" engines so that the public wouldn't know they were driving a turbo. I think the turbo whine was something they were trying to dispose of. You should see the muffler setup on the T7 air box intake (but no in-pipe silencer... they got rid of the restriction).
So it does restrict flow therefore takes what, a couple horses? Sounds like a pain to find.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it does restrict flow therefore takes what, a couple horses? Sounds like a pain to find.
it doesn't restrict airflow very damn much, it's not like a series of baffles or anything, no power gains to speak of, just being able to sound kick *** under load

1 - 20 of 30 Posts