SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's being smarter then me :(
I found the 9 or 10 7mm bolts that hold the lower portion (grill?) on, but they just spin without doing anything useful, all 9 of 'em. Any tips for that?

Also, once I get that lower portion off will the top part be obvious?
I want to remove the A/C and install a FMIC. Right now I've just got the 2 condensers (cabin and front of radiator) and the compressor to take off. Waiting for tools for the compressor, but the belt + tensioner is off.

Oh, why is there a wire going through the "cabin" air condenser? Can I just cut it? I'll have a plate or something made to cover the hole that will be there afterward.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I think if you unclip the lower air dam from the lower side panels you can remove it with the bumper, wich is held to its mounts with two allen-head bolts that are removed from the bottm of the bumper. There are small cutouts below them, to allow access.

as far as yer a.c. the wire is a thermo-coupler (I belive), you can just pull it out.
Note: cars without a.c. came with an air filter and a cover, perhaps you can find one in a yunk-jard.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Don't bother seperating the lower part - just look up under the corners of the bumpers. There are two semicircular gaps in the air dam (lower "grille" you referred to), above those are the two 8mm allen style bolts that hold the whole assembly on. Get a 8mm allen socket and a long extension and take them out. Then the whole bumper comes off (although you may have to unhook the air dam from the side extensions).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh. More allen head stuff? Gotta wait a week for 'em to come in from eBay. Had to get a bunch of torx (star) stuff for my current car, so it doesn't surprise me much.

Sounds much easier then I thought it was going to be. Now to move the front of the car away from the swampy area near my mini-stream.... lol

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Don't bother seperating the lower part - just look up under the corners of the bumpers. There are two semicircular gaps in the air dam (lower "grille" you referred to), above those are the two 8mm allen style bolts that hold the whole assembly on. Get a 8mm allen socket and a long extension and take them out. Then the whole bumper comes off (although you may have to unhook the air dam from the side extensions).
I knew it, I'm invisible again.:cool:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
grif900 said:
I knew it, I'm invisible again.:cool:
Haha grif, I did add info about it being 8mm, though :cool: I just reread your post and saw that you mentioned they come off all as one unit, for some reason I missed that the first time ;oops:

Fido, you should be able to "fetch" an 8mm key at advance/autozone without having to buy a whole set (they're just a couple of bucks).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already ordered a socket set for $20, with a "fancy" blow molded case.
13pc set, 2-6mm for 1/4" drive; 7-12 (no 11)mm for 3/8" drive, and 14mm for 1/2" drive (no 13mm either...not used or just skipped?). Might arrive this week (bought sunday), gotta go quite a ways for the U.S. Post Office.

Thanks for the tips about it comeing off as one piece, I'd have had it in 2-3 pieces by the time I was done figureing it out on my own.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can you take a quick photo so show where the 8mm hex nut is?

I've looked before and like usual the bentley didnt give me enough info :(

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Just find the little semicircular cutout in the horizontal slats in the airdam, and look directly above it.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The first time you take it off you'll kick yourself. It must be the easiest front bumper removal in motoring history. ******, just get on your back and under the front dam. You can't miss them when you look straight up through the access gap in the air dam.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, easiest front bumper removal I've seen.
Except for the part where SPG's have it bolted with those #[email protected]&*!^ rivet+bolt setup* to the side fender flare things (So it's technically not "off" the car yet). Might need new whatever those are (mount points kinda bent/broke) but the A/C condenser is out and the tow hooks will be gone as soon as I get enough extension cord to go to the car for my Sawzall. Then I'll get the FMIC mounted in.

*How do I get them off? My vice grips aren't shaped right to hold the backing in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts