SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the clip that holds the rubber hanger on the steel exhaust hangers removed? I futzed around with one but I couldn't find any other method besides destroying it that worked ot get it out of the groove it clips into.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
You have to pry the two halves apart so it will slide off of the hanger rod. Take a small flat-bladed screwdriver and stick it in between the two large halves. Twist it far enough so the side you can see in your picture above comes out enough to clear the rod, and then you can push it up and off.

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeremy: Gave it a shot but I'm still not getting it :confused:. Am I supposed to completely pry the middle layer up? It feels like it's caught in the groove of the hanger and won't come up. Perhaps that's an lllusion and only the bottom level of the clip that's in the groove?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Bob, look at the clip on eeuro they have a few views of it and your ah ha moment will come, for the cost just break it off.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
With the clip oriented as seen in the picture, give it a bang upwards, say with a hammer. Then pry the big big clip with the flap at the top outwards far enough to let the clip drop down.

(I have destroyed a few of these clips myself.)

·
Registered
17,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success achieved, using all the hints here. The core problem was that I was trying to remove rusty ones to learn how to remove them before I worked on the pristine ones per the photo... and damaged them through ignorance. But, the old ones were completely rusted in. Once I decided to just head to the real job, and armed with the info here, I was able to figure them out.

FYI - the reason I was pulling them is that my exhaust has a lot of play in it and it was rattling in the rubber mounts when starting out. The old rubber mounts were dry and stretched. Coincidentally, I was in the "50% off we're closing" autoparts store the other day and they had the ones below inexpensively. Looked the same as the Saab factory mounts. I took a risk - they are almost exactly the same but a little shorter and with slighter tighter fitting holes (might be stretch in the old ones). Shorter/ tighter is a feature because I have a Saab Sport exhaust in a Viggen bumper (marginally fitting combination) and pulling it up a little tighter is a good thing.

Worked out nicely. Here's what I bought, Nickson part # 17162, and a side by side with the old hanger:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts