SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took them off to give them the SEM Trim Black treatment, nice fresh paint

Here are a bunch of pics I took while taking them off so people will know how they come off in the future. I did some searching and saw talk, but couldn't find any pics.
If I missed a post and they are here, well I am sorry...and now we have 2 posts lol

We will start with the FRONT door trim first, don't mind the corner being popped off a little, that is when I started to think, Ummmmm I should take pics???

Using a plastic trim removal tool that has an angle and a V in it from Harbor Freight, gentle pull the rear corner of the front molding back just a little, then you can see the white push clip inside, put the V of the tool right over that so it helps "pop" it out without damaging them..

Don't worry, they really do "POP" when coming off.

Keep working your way down the door, popping off one by one, until you pop the whole trim off the door.

Now you get to wash the dirt and grim that is behind there too (y)
Repeat for the other side of the car. (Front Door Only)

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now lets move on to the rear door.

Again...gently pry the corner up so you can see behind it, looking for the white push pin. Pry the rear corner, not the corner near the middle of the car, there is NO pin at that location, you will see below.

Pop them one by one but STOP before you get to where you think the last one would be, there is NO pin there.

At this point you need to SLIDE the molding back out of the groove.
And now your doors are molding free and ready for clean up.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next is the bumper corner piece.

Gently pry under the corner, there are tabs on these, not push pins.

Gross in there! That will be cleaned up for sure!!

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lastly is the rear piece which comes off just like the side pieces. This is for cars with no parking sensors. I believe the trim comes off the same way but I am not full familiar with them.

Then you can wash them down with some degreaser, dry them off and paint them with SEM Trim Black, I was chasing them with a hair dryer to prevent blushing as it is pretty humid here in the North East right but I am running a dehumidifier as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Added: To removed the front trim w/ lights, its on the same idea as the rear strips.

Gently push up right around where I have the tool and it will loosen up, then you can work the clips one by one for removal.

Once loose, pull it away and untwist the bulb connector.

and.....there you have it, the molding is out with the light.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job, they look great.
Thanks!

I will probably put them all back on tonight, I want to get it in the garage to do some buffing, so might as well keep them off while I do it as not to get compound on them lol.

Oh....I sent you a PM and email, my trip this weekend down there might be changing but would like to set up a time to come down soon to grab that valance. Thanks !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice post! Did you break any of the white clips when taking the moulding off? I matched my ones to the body colour a while back and broke a few of the clips.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, not one of them broke (luckily), but I was very careful to make sure the "V" of the tool was right over each one, that I think helped protect them from breaking and coming "Straight" out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lucky you! I ended up having to make my own, using a silicone mould of a good one and an epoxy. It actually worked quite well if I do say so myself!

·
Registered
392 Posts
That is an outstanding contribution you made here! I need to change the corner bumper piece. Is that a straight pry-off?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
Awesome. Adding to how-to

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is an outstanding contribution you made here!
You are very welcome, glad it helps!

I need to change the corner bumper piece. Is that a straight pry-off?
Thanks,

It is, but gently push up ON a tab and it will release from the bumper as it pulls out away from the bumper, if that makes sense. See the tabs below.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts