SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SAAB 9-5 manual transmission. I am in the process of replacing both CV axels in the front. I got the driver-side outer axel out, but the inner (at the transmission) doesn't want to budge. I tried to pry it out with a pry bar - so far no success. or am I missing something? I noticed that the new CV axel has a little splinter ring on the end of the inner axel shaft.
Or do I have to remove the plat that's on the transmission (see pic)?

how is the passenger side? Any different?

thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
The easiest way to remove a CV axle is to rent a slide hammer and a CV axle removal tool, which looks like a giant crow's foot socket. Google "OTC 7509" and you'll see what the assembled tool looks like. I've never had any luck getting the axles out with a crow bar, and on these cars you'll rip the joint apart if you just yank on the axle, which is how I'd always get them out on older Hondas. The CV axle tool and slide hammer makes the job pretty easy. You hook the tool behind the inner driver (the inner part of the CV axle), thread the slide hammer on, and give it a few good whacks. It will pop out.

Both CV axles on a 9-5 are the same, but the passenger's side has an additional companion shaft. It can stay in the car. If you ever need to remove it, you'll have to take out the alternator since the companion shaft's bracket doubles as the lower alternator bracket. The only reason to remove the companion shaft is to replace the bearing that it rides on, or to remove the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts