SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling it #2 because that is what manual calls it. Its the one just below the tensor pulley but unlike its little brother it doesn't have a nice big obvious 13mm hex-bolt.

It has what COULD be about 5mm hex-drive, or maybe a #25-20 torx, but I couldn't get anything to feel like it hooked up. I couldn't even get a normal 5mm hex wrench in the space, but a 5mm 1/4drive bit didn't want to go. Neither did a 4.5mm hex wrench.

Any help?

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Exactly which pulley are we talking about? The two idler pulleys are there with a 13mm hex cap bolt, the tensioner pulley is attached to the tensioner arm with a Torx screw... T40 IIRC.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the #2 in this pic.

I guess I'll try a T40 but how to get it in there? I've even got a cute little ratchet that takes little 1/4" bits but I couldn't even get that in there. I was trying with needle nose vise grips just to try the bits.

My tenser and (that one you don't use with short belt mod) both got 13mm hexhead bolts.

Sorry about book pic being upside down.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
In the second picture, the tensioner is on the left. Held to the block with an allen bolt. To remove the pulley from the tensioner, remove the tensioner from the car, then the pulley from the tensioner.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
In the second picture, the tensioner is on the left. Held to the block with an allen bolt. To remove the pulley from the tensioner, remove the tensioner from the car, then the pulley from the tensioner.
Exactly. It's a common mistake to try to take the tensioner pulley off while the tensioner is still in the car. Don't do that. The Allen bolt on the tensioner is 8mm, but sometimes 8mm is so tight that I prefer to use a 5/16" bit or hex key. You'll have plenty of room to get a standard hex key on that bolt. You can remove the tensioner pulley once the tensioner is off of the car, but you might find that a new tensioner pulley for a NG900 is nearly expensive as the entire tensioner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
got tenser pulley off and on no problem, without messing with tenser.

problem idler is marked in pink in pic. only about 1" clearence between it and inner fender steel.

OH, I see whats going on now. I didn't realized #2 WAS the tenser pulley. I had to look at the website to see isolated tenser/pulley pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
You need to pin the tensioner in the retracted position them remove the 8mm (IIRC) Allen bolt in the "base" of the tensioner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts