SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read as many threads as I can find about convertible issues. Here is where I am with a 2003 convertible that I bought with a known top issue.

The top is up.

I have located the proper hydraulic fluid and have 2 qts on hand

I have removed the pump and verified the fluid is empty.

refilled the reservoir and attempted to operate top.

Top unlatched the fifth bow but it did not move. ( I can raise it by hand very easily). The fifth bow can be latched and unlatched.

Substantial fluid leak under drivers side rear wheel.

suspect a broken, loose hydraulic line on that side.

I have located a source for new lines (with the help of this wonderful site)

I can't figure out how to get the tonneau (soft top cover) to raise up.

It looks like the shear pin is fine.

My goal would be to replace the hydraulic lines and take to a local Saab shop to reprogram with tech 2 if at all possible.

I have been a member for years and enjoy this site very much but this is my first post in years

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Do you have the owner's manual? There is a description in there showing how you put the chisel end ( I think)of the tire iron in a slot in the side trim in the trunk and I think pull your end of the tire iron toward the rear. I don't have a 9-3 so I am limited in my ability to help. The need, I think, is to release the tension on two cables which are actuating the latches holding down the tonneau and relieve any hydraulic pressure in the piston if there is any pressure at this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John

I downloaded the manual and found it!

found the leak and the cure is in progress

Trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
check the ram

There is a high degree of failure with the hydraulic rams- I suspect that is your problem. The seals generally wear out and they leak. What I would do is put new fluid in the pump- and keep cycling it back and forth- in complete cycles, until is won't go any more or dings. You need to do this many times like 20 or more- because if your lines are dry from the leak it will take a while to bleed them (they are self bleeding) If you are worried about buring out the motor do it for a few minutes - stop and wait a few minutes and try again. If you get the tonneau cover up (be careful that it does not drop back on you) You should be able to see if there is fluid at the top of the ram on the drivers side. BTW there are two but I suspect one is leaking. The fix- you can buy a used one - I am selling some if you are interested- or you can have the ram(s) rebuilt with superior to original equipment seals - these will cost you about 150 plus shipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the culprit. The fifth bow ram hydraulic line was damaged at the fitting of the ram end. The previous owner appears to have attempted to repair this with something that looks like epoxy. attached is a close up of this fitting.

As I put this back together, I plan to document the process with pictures.

As these convertibles age, we are going to need more how-to's or pay pretty large repair bills for top repairs

These hydraulic lines are pretty common on all recent convertibles. It appears that the outfit "Power Packer" supplies OEM to most European makes.

From what I could tell, the power pack is the same for many models.

Anyone with a hydraulics background know what type of fitting the pump-side fitting is?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone with a hydraulics background know what type of fitting the pump-side fitting is?
I was looking for this information a while back, I didn't turn up many results. I ended up buying a whole set for my 2000 vert (10 hoses?) for about $450 shipped from www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com. High quality although the fittings were slightly out of tolerance. They offered to replace them but I didn't want to wait. I used some emery cloth on them and they work like a charm.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tript thanks for sharing your find.

I just picked up a 2000 9-3, the top motor does not work either. Do you happen to have any pics of where the problem is located? I still haven't removed the rugs, but plan to tomorrow.

I am hoping the fix is simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts