SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 2001 9-5 SE has been had this, no crank to start when car is warm problem. I found some discussion on the web and proved it's the Neutral Safety Switch problem by pouring cold water onto it to make it start. I was following the instructions on Scribd.com, but got stuck at "lift the dipstick high enough to clear the bolt and move aside". I seems easy for everyone else that have done this job, but I couldn't figure out a way to pull it up. The transmission dipstick tube seems attached at the bottom and I pull it using quite a bit strength, but it only shake a little bit but won't come up. If someone has done this, please advice.

Attached are pictures of the bolt, tube and the bottom of the tube:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi
Once the nut is removed it will pull up and pop out of the casing. There is an 'o' ring in the casing that seals the tube so that may well be gripping it .
You will need to wiggle it quite a bit whilst pulling upwards.

there is no more to it than that, it will come out :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
;ol;
Finally, I took out the switch, but only then, I found out the used part I got from ebay has something missing. The threaded brace in the center is broken and missing. Does it mean I got it as garbage? What the use of the brace and the nut? Is that simply for protection?

Picture of the old one and the one I got from eBay:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It doesn't look promising

The large nut is used to clamp the actuator hub of the switch to the shift lever extending out of the transmission case. The sheet metal tabs behind the large nut are bent upwards after the nut is tight to block the nut from ever loosening.

Having the nut tight must be very important as it has a locking tab to prevent it from moving.

I think you received either a broken switch, or nearly identical switch intended for another car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts