SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to repair a 1998 saab 900 (bad radiator). I am having trouble figuring out the anti theft system. The previous owner told me that it will only start if you open the car with the key fobs, which I have 2 keys and 2 key fobs that work, however after using this method it still does not start.

What is the starting technique?

P.S. I had the car start out of luck one time only.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It sounds like something else is wrong. You just turn the key to start these.

Check the DIC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced the battery with a fully charged, tested battery and clean terminals. I can turn the key and the dash lights up but when I turn the key to crank it over, all the lights shut off and nothing happens. Silence. No starter cranking, and all the lights are off. When the key is turned back from the start position, the lights come back on again.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yep - if the alarm is armed, the car won't start. Armed alarm + broken/lost key fobs = SOL, very expensive.

However, it sounds like you have another issue. Bad fuel pump, ignition switch, DIC, etc. What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does you system have a blinking LED on the middle of the dash, close to the windshield? If so, it's alarmed... Ron
Yes it does. However I followed the instructions in the owners manual to disable the alarm. What I did was I shut all the doors, locked the car with the remote and waited 10 seconds until the alarm became active, then I unlocked the car using the remote and entered the car to start it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep - if the alarm is armed, the car won't start. Armed alarm + broken/lost key fobs = SOL, very expensive.

However, it sounds like you have another issue. Bad fuel pump, ignition switch, DIC, etc. What are the symptoms?
As earlier stated, I can turn the key and the dash lights up but when I turn the key to crank it over, all the lights shut off and nothing happens. Silence. No starter cranking, and all the lights are off. When the key is turned back from the start position, the lights come back on again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As earlier stated, I can turn the key and the dash lights up but when I turn the key to crank it over, all the lights shut off and nothing happens. Silence. No starter cranking, and all the lights are off. When the key is turned back from the start position, the lights come back on again.
Auto or manual?

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I just replaced the battery with a fully charged, tested battery and clean terminals. I can turn the key and the dash lights up but when I turn the key to crank it over, all the lights shut off and nothing happens. Silence. No starter cranking, and all the lights are off. When the key is turned back from the start position, the lights come back on again.
Okay, just to check, have a friend put a multimeter across the battery cable ends--not the battery terminals themselves. Try starting the car. Does his multimeter stay at +12, or drop to zero as your lights go out?

I know you've change the battery, but these symtoms really sound like the battery cables aren't on the terminals securely.

If that doesn't do it, ignition switch sounds like the next culprit. However, it's a lot easier to fix loose battery cables than an ignition switch.

Hmm, does the starter work through a maxi-fuse? It may be worthwhile checking the engine bay fuses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes sir battery checks out. I even hooked up a pair of jumper cables to the car direct to the battery terminals and we encountered the same situation.

Okay, just to check, have a friend put a multimeter across the battery cable ends--not the battery terminals themselves. Try starting the car. Does his multimeter stay at +12, or drop to zero as your lights go out?

I know you've change the battery, but these symtoms really sound like the battery cables aren't on the terminals securely.

If that doesn't do it, ignition switch sounds like the next culprit. However, it's a lot easier to fix loose battery cables than an ignition switch.

Hmm, does the starter work through a maxi-fuse? It may be worthwhile checking the engine bay fuses.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Yes sir battery checks out. I even hooked up a pair of jumper cables to the car direct to the battery terminals and we encountered the same situation.
Sorry, I don't see it clear. One end was to the battery terminals? Or to the cable clamps over the battery terminals? Where was the other end?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so far guys, your input has helped me greatly. A Friend of mine got it running. I will elaborate more on this once we fully figure out what we did to make it run.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any news here? The guy I sold my car is having this problem. It's not the alarm, chrips work, lights on the dash are coming on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts