SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wrong forum, u need to post in the NG 900 forum, but on my classic 900 there is a lever on the left side under the dash on what would be your drivers side :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the direction! I'm a newbe and this forum is very helpful from the threads I read so for.

There is no latch under the driverside (on anywhere period). It is missing. I'm going to the dealer for a manual later today ... need to do things under the hood.

Any alternate way of 'fishing' for that release cable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
DavidSudaria said:
Thanks for the direction! I'm a newbe and this forum is very helpful from the threads I read so for.

There is no latch under the driverside (on anywhere period). It is missing. I'm going to the dealer for a manual later today ... need to do things under the hood.

Any alternate way of 'fishing' for that release cable?

Thanks!
This is not a good situation
Maybe the dealer has some kind of "slim-jim" device that may work without damaging the grill - hopefully..
I fail to see how this could happen.
The hood release seems to be decent quality - far better than the '65 95/96 series POS that worked sometimes.
It was rather easy , back then, to pop the hood using a large screwdriver - good thing too..

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Open the driver's door, get on one knee and look on the wall of the footwell closest to your left foot. There's a release lever there....

Pull toward you until the hood pops.

If the carpet has been removed on that side, it's possible that the carpet was replaced incorrectly and is covering the lever.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Hood release

There should have been a lever like the one in the pic below, under the dash, at your left foot (ignore the open relay tray). The cable is attached to the lever. If the lever broke off, you may still be able to get to the end of the cable if you remove the plastic piece under the dash.

If not, the cable runs just under the front lip of the hood, but with the hood closed, you can't get to it easily. The plastic splash shields under the car have to come off, and then you can try to hook the cable and the plastic sheath from below using something like a coat hanger, or a long rod with a hook on top. I think the car has to be on a lift, I have not heard of anyone doing that while on stands.

The plastic sheath cracks open under the lip of the hood, the cable starts to corrode and gets stuck... takes more effort to release... the lever or something else can break. I keep packing grease into the cracks. Replacing it looks like a lot of work for another bad piece of plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hood release lever found ... hood is open!

Mike, PMI, all:

The pic was a big help! Now I know where to look :)

The carpet was covering the latch ... found it, pulled, ... hood is open!

You guys are great! Awesome forum. ... now onto other 'under the hood issues'

-David

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Glad to see you found it!...

In the never-ending Saab saga, now you get to worry about why the carpet was removed! :D

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I am glad too, that he found it.

Under the carpet !! Unbelievable !!
I'll bet this has never happened before to any car on this planet...

·
Registered
209 Posts
i have done the exact thing! when removing excess water from a leaky bit of plastic under the windscreen / clogged drain hose, I accidentally pu the carpet back over the lever!

as a note I was not the previous owner of his car but due to the "swimming pools in the footwells" issue, I bet that may be when it happenned.

bh

·
Registered
1 Posts
95 saab 900se hood latch broke

Need to open the hood ,I read other postings and I can't seam to get the front grill off, to use pliers to pull the latch, Any suggestions other than going to a dealer(-ouch!) the hood is slightley open on the pass side and really tight on the drivers side ,almost like there is a latch holding it down
Thanks
CTSaab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts