SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When searching I have found a lot of threads that have to do with upgrading to K&N, and on changing/cleaning your cabin air filter, but I have not been able to find any on replacing the engine air filter. I know where the intake box is, but I am not really sure how to go about opening it. I also looked at the faq and found the thread on cleaning the cabin filter, but nothing on the engine filter.

Any good how to's out there?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
337 Posts
air filter

its a little bit of a PITA compared to other cars, basically just get the screwdriver out of your trunk that came with the car, and loosen the 4 bolts close to each corner of the airbox. You do not need to remove the bolts completely. There is also a metal retaining clamp on the forward inside edge of the airbox which you will need to unhook. Now the thing that makes this annoying mostly is because you need to take a flathead screwderiver (should have an attachment on the one in your trunk) and loosen the hose clamp where the rubber intake hose meets the metal intake pipe. You can pull it back off the metal pipe with a bit of effort and just kind of bend it out of the way. You should be able to get the top off the airbox then.

Then just set the Panel Filter in place of the old one and throw it all back together in the same way. Just make sure you tighten it back down reasonably and uniformly so it doesnt leak. I suggest putting each bolt into place loosly first before tightening each individual one down all the way so you make sure you got it on there right.

Hope that all made sense, and it was clear enough ;). Bsically its not hard, should take you 5 mins.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I started to attempt this, but then found that there are a ton of little hoses running around the back of the box that seem to be connected to it. What to I need to remove in addition to the 4 screws and the main intake hose? There seems to be a lot more to it in my case.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Nah, you should just unscrew the clamp holding the pipe to the turbo and pull that part free, then pop open the 4 clamps. There shouldn't be anything more to it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So,Doug, you have a 2002 9-3,last of the old generation 9-3, but much the same as a 900 new generation.

One of those hoses at the air cleaner box may be filtered air for some pollution device,(gas tank vent and charcoal canister) another for something else(positive crankcase ventilation) - perhaps. The old 900ng is simpler..

On the hood, a chart is given showing the vacuum hose and anti-pollution device hose routing.
Study this one, maybe identify and mark with colored tape and learn their function.

Then you will be able to tear into the air filter - which , I am sure is not that complicated.

Place a "data plate"( a blank label) on the air cleaner housing showing when the filter was changed - saves unnecessary work down the road..

Probably much simpler than compared to a '88 Honda with its 28 different vacuum hoses and pollution lines..almost impossible to work on...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Even if...
I don't think a working knowledge of pollution control is necessary to remove the air filter. :cheesy:

Nah, you should still be able to find screws or clips to open up the top half of the airbox without performing minor surgery. The 9-3 airbox is slightly different in the T7 cars. But still...no biggie.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I am going to try and take a better look at things today, and see if I can find out what I am going wrong. Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Worked this time. I just had to take what you already told me and look at things logically. I finally got it figured out and it was really easy. I am still trying to develop an "automotive mind" but I am certainly getting better at it. Next up is the cabin air filter. That looks like it should be pretty simple. My next major test will be the fuel filter :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts