SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this little trick after taking out my charcoal canister and plugging the opening at the intake manifold with a vacuum cap, enjoy :lol:

#1 locate vacuum line holder on top of intake that has 3/8" vacuum line coming out of it
#2 remove large vacuum line
#3 start car
#4 enjoy :cheesy:

didn't have any driveability problems, smells like it's sucking gas down bigtime though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
lol you just keep messing around with stuff mike :lol::cheesy: one way to learn though, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse :eek::p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, to be fair, i discovered it on accident :lol: i put the cap on, then did some boosting (yes yes, i boosted with my borked turbo! i'm getting a new one wednesday!) and when i stopped to drop a friend off it was doing it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i boosted with my borked turbo!
careful Mike - few engines enjoy a diet of turbo vane fragments, in fact, most get horrible, expensive indigestion when you try to feed them bits of metal ...:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
If the fragments can go past that huge filter/catch can known as intercooler, I think he has bigger issues. Otherwise, he'll just have to clean the intercooler one day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,779 Posts
Erm, my charcoal canisters been disconnected for a while now, no difference except it's one less vacuum leak...can't see how it would make the exhaust sound different... :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheRedBaron said:
Erm, my charcoal canisters been disconnected for a while now, no difference except it's one less vacuum leak...can't see how it would make the exhaust sound different... :confused:
you can do it with the charcoal canister on, too, the only thing you gotta do is disconnect the big hose that goes from the canister to the intake manifold :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,779 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
you can do it with the charcoal canister on, too, the only thing you gotta do is disconnect the big hose that goes from the canister to the intake manifold :D
You mean that plasticky one that has the big fitting at the manifold? That's the one I'm saying has been disconnected on my car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
So we've established that this is a cool thing to do for a laugh, sort of like when you run a truck open headers until the noise nazis find you. Is doing this harmful to the engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheRedBaron said:
You mean that plasticky one that has the big fitting at the manifold? That's the one I'm saying has been disconnected on my car...
it has? huh... strange... i dunno, that's how it makes it on my car, and azn, it could be bad if it sucked something into your engine, because theres no filter on there, but otherwise i dunno that it would be :confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,841 Posts
I have never heard an engine that was not a V8 sound like a V8, the V8 timing is very different from a 4, 6, 10 or 12 cylinder engine and the volume of air shifted out the exhaust is much larger than a 4 cylinder engine.

Most 4 cylinders fire like 1-3-4-2 and a V8 is like 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 or 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 this sounds very different because the crank is still doing 800rpms at idle yet there is twice the volume of air and twice the number of beats, thats why on idle to rev up it sounds angry like a growel from a big jungle cat:lol:

The 4 cylinder has half the beats for the same crank speed and a V12 has 3 times more beats per single crank rotation than a 4 cylinder engine, thats why they sound so smooth because each note is close together, nobody ever said a 4 cylinder engine sounds smooth because the sound or timing gaps between each cylinder is longer, make engine sense?



Compared to a 4 inline 4 stroke engine like our Saab's



This is why anything with a V8 sounds cool and looks cool.





Yes thats red wine in the chambers:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Si said:
I guess you had a bad vacuum leak, idle stumbling along.....
exactly, it makes a big vacuum leak :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,779 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
I have never heard an engine that was not a V8 sound like a V8, the V8 timing is very different from a 4, 6, 10 or 12 cylinder engine and the volume of air shifted out the exhaust is much larger than a 4 cylinder engine.
Yeah, but a c900t with straight pipes sounds pretty bad ***! MMMM castironlogmanifoldygoodness :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
...and the volume of air shifted out the exhaust is much larger than a 4 cylinder engine.
Now, call me picky, but...

Surely the amount of air shifted is dependent on the capacity of the engine (and any forced induction) rather than on the number of cylinders...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Now, call me picky, but...

Surely the amount of air shifted is dependent on the capacity of the engine (and any forced induction) rather than on the number of cylinders...?
Not even really, the air is more a function of the power required to turn the engine over at idle speed, thus roughly the friction of the motor.

At 300 hp you move the same air if you have a 2.0 litre or a 7 litre all things equal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,081 Posts
900t said:
Not even really, the air is more a function of the power required to turn the engine over at idle speed, thus roughly the friction of the motor.

At 300 hp you move the same air if you have a 2.0 litre or a 7 litre all things equal.
<looks sceptical>

Think about it - you've got x cylinders totalling y capacity, each being filled at a certain number of times per minute. It doesn't matter if x is 4, 6, 8 or 12 or whatever - the same amount of air is being flowed. Yes, it's slightly more complex than that in that a petrol engine has the air throttled, so we have to assume full throttle (or a diesel).

The power produced is solely a factor of how efficiently that air (and the associated fuel) is being used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
The v8 needs greater power to turn over at idle. If it burning the mixture as efficiently as a 4 cylinder, it still needs more mixture to do the job. Hence more air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
To overcome greater internal friction. However, I'm not sure how much extra that is, so the overall effect may be unnoticeable :)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top