SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...

I've been searching on the speaker install procedure but can't seem to find it. Found everything except the front foors. I have a 07 9-3 2.0 and i boust a pair of BA 6.5's but i can't figure out how to remove the stock speakers. Looking at it, it seems that the grills would pry off without having to remove the door panels but i tried doing it and it's extremely difficult and i don't want to damage anything... does anyone have a link to the DIY for this or i would greatly appreciate if someone can give some direction.

Also on a side note: the rear parcel shelf directions seem easy but i'm wondering if the side panels have to come off to unscrew the 6x9? i just popped off the grill and to the naked eye it seems that one of the screws to the 6x9 might be under the side panel... i might be wrong on this and will probably find out if this is the case this weekend when i do install them.

The speakers i got are all Boston Ac's
6.5" S65RC
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7LLeh7HK3jk/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=065S65RC&id=detailed_info

S95 6x9"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-T8f7KN2Zv1Q/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=065S95&id=detailed_info

S35 3.5"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lvhQKsqthjm/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=065S35&id=detailed_info

The guy i spoke to at Crutchfield said that the front dash 3.5" would be an issue and i did not get anything for them yet... has anyone replaced them in a 2007 9-3? Also any feedback on my speaker choice would be appreciated as well... i managed to install the 3.5' on the rear deck because the access was easy but i really don't feel a diff yet. probably because the 6x9" are still on.

thanks in advance
S

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Doors panels need to come off to replace speakers. You need 2 ohm impedance. Your 4 ohm BA speakers will not be as loud as the stock units you are replacing.

Front 3.5" speakers are easy to replace.

Rear 6x9's not worth replacing. Money better spent on amplifying the signal to stock speakers or adding an amp+subwoofer. If you really want to remove the stock speakers some people had success by turning the screw from the underside using locking pliers. It is not easy and you have to be careful not to destroy the threads. Some of the old stereo threads had advice for replacing 6x9's. This approach quickly fell out of favor once people realized the new speakers did nothing for the lack of bass.

The best way to get stereo help here is to post your stock configuration and tell us what you don't like about the sound. From there the tried-and-true upgrade paths become clear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers... I took the car to a stereo place this afternoon trying to figure out the steps to remove the door panels and the guy there said the same thing you mentioned about the 2ohm speakers. I then called cruchfield and the "tech" guy over there says the opposite, he says that as long as the the speakers i'm replacing do not fall under the factory Impedance it will work fine. I also mentioned to him that the (2) 3.5's i installed are sounding more like a bird chirping and then ofcourse he says thats because the 6x9's have not been replaced yet... so my final thought is to listen to you guys because you have experiance with it and return the bloody speakers. they probably do not want me to return them. i'm just pissed off that i had to cut the connector off my stock 3.5 and now i have to sodder them back on.

As far as what i want in the car for sound...I don't need window shattering base. My old car was a 2005 TL and the sound system in there was phenomenal. I'm as happy as i can be with my Saab but i'm very dissapointed with the sound system. so as far as what i want... yes i would like more base and also for the music to be cleaner. don't get that feeling from the current system...

What do you think is the best way to accomplish this without breaking my bank. I just bought a house and i don't want the wife huffing and puffing.

Again... thanks much for you're help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
In order to replace the door speakers you must remove the door trim. If you need it I can send you a guide with pics in funny english but easy to understand, just send your e-mail to [email protected]

ctrlz knows 6,5" speakers with 2-3 Ohms which are worth buying.

In order to replace&check the 6x9" you can remove the whole plastic cover which isolates cabine from the trunk;
* Move/turn forward both rear seats
* From the trunk you will see several clips that can be removed w/o tools and then you can remove the big plastic cover by pulling&twisting. The access to both speakers should be good now.

The AMP for these speakers is underpowered, and 1 way "woofers" 6x9" are hard to find.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I don't know about the "bird chirping" front speakers. This sounds like a problem. Make sure they are wired in phase. Hopefully you saved the Saab connector. Wire 1 marked on the connector is (-), 2 is (+). All speakers in the car use this convention. Assuming you have the 300/13 system, you should also disconnect the stock Saab tweeters. Perhaps you now have two tweeters on each side, and that is the cause of the "chirp."

I recommend Infinity 62.7i as first choice for the doors (2nd choice would be JBL GTO 627). These will offer tighter bass from the doors, but will not be louder. Any 4 ohm speaker will not play as loud as the equivalent 2 ohm speaker. The amp that drives the doors is 2-ohm stable, meaning it was designed to drive a 2 ohm load. The speakers already in your doors are 2 ohm. Every other speaker in the car is 4 ohm.

The doors speakers are dedicated mid-bass drivers in the 300/13. All the sub-bass gets routed to the 6x9's via AMP2.

To get decent bass out of this setup you will need an aftermarket amp. Speakers are not going to do it. You need to run the speaker wires from the 6x9's through a line output converter. The output from that will be a line-level signal for a new amp. You can use an amp good for about 50 W rms x 2 channels into 4 ohms. This amp can drive the stock 6x9's if you don't want a separate subwoofer. The stock Saab amp is only good for about 20 W rms.

You can ignore the front center channel speaker and rear 4" speakers for now. These play a minor role. Saab has tuned the stereo in such a way that these speakers never get much power. The front center serves something of a blending function so the separation between left and right is not so dramatic. I like it this way, but some members here just disconnect that speaker. The rear 4" speakers are for "rear fill." The idea is the sound comes from the front in a live performance, and what you hear from behind is only a shadow of what's up front.

I bought all my speakers off ebay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for not getting back earlier but i had shoulder surgery and was unable to type.

Anyway, as far as the stereo in my car, it's a 260W/9SP if i'm not mistaken. also the speakers/AMP(s) are Bose.

Before going under the knife, i took out the rear shelf and the speakers are monted on a "tray" and the "tray" is mounted on to the skelton of the rear shelf. This is important i think because with this one is able to just unscrew the tray and get the speakers out without having to either take out the rear side panels or having to unscrew the speakers with pliers from the bottom. As mentioned above, doing this jepodizes the threads of the screws. Once i have full use of my arm in about a month i will post some pics.

The only thing missing on my end is taking apart the front door panels... i have looked on the site but i can't seem to find clear directions.?

Also thanks to everyone for getting back to me and apologize on my end for the delayed response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts