SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't figure out how to get the caliper off to check the slide pins on my '01 9-5 any tips folks?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The caliper bolts are the slide pins

On the inboard side of the caliper you fill see/feel two plastic cylinders (~5/8 inch dia and ~1 inch long) with a rubber cap. Pop off the rubber cap and insert a T40(?) bit inside the cylinder to seat in the recessed end of the caliper bolt. Unscrew these two bolts with your socket and remove. These bolts are the caliper slide pins.

Later years used a bolt with a recessed Hex. My 2000 used a recessed Torx and your 2001 likely does too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again

Thanks again, my repair manual has not come in yet!:( Your help is much appreciated!;ol;

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also agree. Working on my 2000 9-5 Aero is the same as working on my relative's 2001 9-5 LPT. Those two bolts that hold the calipers can be a bear to remove. I ended up using a hammer with a long ratchet handle that I kept hitting until the bolt was freed. Used a bit of WD-40 to make the job easier. There are only two Torx bolts holding the brake pads. Use a flat head screwdriver to help you pry off the top of the caliper. Then use a 18mm socket to remove the two bolts for the remaining portion of the calipers if you are removing the rotors. You won't be able to remove the rotors unless you remove the last of the calipers that are attached to the back of the dust shield.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I could not fit a ratchet in. Ended up using a 7mm (Ithink) box end. Put that on the T socket and put both in the hole and beat the box end with a hammer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T45 maybe?

OK T40 socket did not work but 45 did could not budge, when I got to bottom one seems STRIPED out!!

Also pass. side rear when will not come off even with all lug bolts out? Tried liquid wrench between wheel and rotor, and pounding the tire and wheel at every angle with rubber mallet!!:evil:

·
Registered
363 Posts
OK T40 socket did not work but 45 did could not budge, when I got to bottom one seems STRIPED out!!

Also pass. side rear when will not come off even with all lug bolts out? Tried liquid wrench between wheel and rotor, and pounding the tire and wheel at every angle with rubber mallet!!:evil:
I had this happen as well. loosent the lug bolts a few turns, but leave them all in and raise and lower the vehicle. If the wheel doesn't pop off the rotor, try again. If still no go, drive the car for a short distance with the bolts loose. On one of my wheels, I had to back out of the garage, down the driveway, and then go a few feet in drive as well before I heard them pop and they were loose. No damage done to the bolts. You'll hear it pop loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts