SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It wasn't a stretched cable

Any sugestions for a quick fix on the auto shifter cable of a 1999, 9-5 with the 2.3?

Thanks,

Bryan

Turns out the plastic fitting that goes over the little zerk looking thing on the shift lever (at teh tranny) is screwed up. I'm going to fill it in with an epoxy to take the play out of the whole mess and then go from there. We tried it with someone holding the whole mess together and it shifted well. It was just a crummy design.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No quick fix i'm afraid... its a two man job according to Haynes...

1. inside the car , put gear lever in P
  2. in the engine bay, lift the adjustment retaining clip on the tranny end of the cable.
  3. locate lever on the transmission range switch, to which the selector cable is connected. Position lever so that the tranny is set in the Park position.
  4. With the hand/e brake off, roll the car until the Park interlock engages.
  5. With the aid of an assistant, hold the selector lever rearward in the Park position to take up the slack.
  6. in the engine bay, press down the adjustment clip at the tranny end to lock the cable.
  7. check the selector lever to make sure the play is the same in both N and D position. If not, repeat adjustment procedure until it is.
  8. roadtest vehicle to ensure correct operation of gears.
Sounds like a dealer/indy job to me. :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I'm glad to hear it's possible w/o replacing the whole cable. The quote for that was $586.

Thanks again,

Bryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts