SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on another forum a while back and grabbed it. I made no note of the forum or the author, so apologies to them for ripping off their work. It's just too useful to not post up!

"Put the rubber on the body first, without the plastic trim or corner trims.

Get a spray can of silicone and drench the rubber, in the cracks and also on the outside.

Place the bottom part of the screen in the rubber and lay it flat onto the top part of the rubber and centralise the best you can.

Now the fun starts!

Take a genuine SAAB black handled flat bladed screwdriver, switch on your bench grinder and make a nice curve on the tip. Also make a radius on the edges of the blade, now smooth it all off with some emery paper until it's nice and smooth. I say SAAB screwdriver because that is was I always used and it is just the right size for the job and you can handle it as it is not to long.

Please bare in mind that in Winter the rubber will not flex as much as in Summer time.

Please, please have patience now.

Where you first dropped the screen into the bottom middle centre, push your made tool between the rubber and the glass and pull towards you a few inches and then go to the other side of the car and repeat. Keep doing this until you get to the corners of the A pillars. You will notice that the screen has not yet dropped properly into the rubber - don't worry, check and centralise the screen again. If you need to adjust it, put your hand flat on the screen and your other hand as a mirror image on the inside and push - it should move.

Now then, place your finger nails at the top central of the screen and pull down to push the screen further into the rubber, you may also have to slightly bang the screen with a glancing blow. Do not whack it hard or you will break the corners.

Check it's central again.

Get your screwdriver tool and very gently push the blade into the rubber again about 4 or 5 inches away from the corner/s, and gently tease the rubber around the corner of the screen and repeat on the other side. You may only get the rubber up to the extreme of the radius if this happens. You will have to start 1/2 way up the A pillar and then travel down the A pillar to meet up with the corner.

After doing both corners, you will now have to pull the screen down again from the top (BUT DO NOT PUSH THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN IN TO THE RUBBER).

Now start the process all over again starting from the middle top of the screen. First spray the rubber and glass again with your silicone spray.

Get to the radius of the corners and then go upwards up the A pillar where you left off before. The screen should now be nearly in the aperture and the rubber slightly proud, but you should be able to see the rubber and that none of it is trapped anywhere.

Feeling brave? Now push the screen in from about 8 inches away from the corner and it should flop in and repeat on the other side. If it is not quite central you should still be able to slide it slightly using the process stated above.

Done.

If I were you though, get a proper trim tool to put the black plastic trims in, be careful though and use plenty of spray. Put the bottom corners in first and put your trim in with the trim tool about 3 inches away from the corner trim and then slide trims into corners."

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Matthew said:
I saw this on another forum a while back and grabbed it. I made no note of the forum or the author, so apologies to them for ripping off their work. It's just too useful to not post up!
1. Ring insurance "Glass helpline".
2. Wait for Autoglass guy to arrive
3. Offer him a cuppa. "No, thanks, mate. Won't be long"
4. Two hours later, go out to find out what's taking so long. "Blimey, these ain't easy. But I'm nearly done!"
5. Another hour later, pay the £50.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Ring insurance "Glass helpline".
2. Wait for Autoglass guy to arrive
3. Offer him a cuppa. "No, thanks, mate. Won't be long"
4. Two hours later, go out to find out what's taking so long. "Blimey, these ain't easy. But I'm nearly done!"

5. Autoglass guy goes off to fetch another windscreen to replace the one he's just cracked
6. Wait for Autoglass guy to arrive
7. Offer him a cuppa. "Better had, thanks, mate. Might be a while"

8. Another hour later, pay the £50.

Repeat steps 5 - 7 as necessary :lol:

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Matthew said:
Take a genuine SAAB black handled flat bladed screwdriver....
I strongly recommend avoiding the use of metal tools; one slip and the glass cracks (I've cracked 2 of the many I've installed).
I use plastic, wood would probably work.

I hate the French keyboards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just had my windscreen replaced and laughed heartily when I saw Matthew's reply, as my experience was eerily similar....

I reported my screen as chipped , needing replacement , to my insurance company hotline (which turned out to be a call centre for the Windscreen replacement company). They informed me that it would take a few days to order one in, "cos it's an old car"....

3 weeks later..... i'm told it's here
When I went to the fitting station (at my pre-arranged appointment time), they didn't have my booking, then said they didn't have my windscreen in. Then spent 15 minutes trying to find it... Found it.
Then promptly Put a foot long crack in it when picking it up.
Day off work wasted,.... another 3 week wait.

When they next had one in, I got them to come to my house to fit.
The young lad doing the fitting proudly told me that I had the only one in the country currently and it had be shipped in especially :roll: , yeh right!
Offered him a coffee, and he said "no thanks won't be long".... 2 hrs later.....

Still all done now, and it's like driving a new car (almost :D )....

Mark

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New windscreens are a good thing.

I think the windscreens on the convertibles are bonded instead of interference fit. Did they fit a genuine Saab item or an aftermarket 'screen?

Euro Saab Parts Direct used to sell brand new genuine Saab windscreens for the 900 for £65 +VAT :eek:

TooMany2cvs said:
He can feel free. It just makes that £50 even better value...
Lots of cups of tea though :D

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
RedRag said:
I've just had my windscreen replaced and laughed heartily when I saw Matthew's reply, as my experience was eerily similar....

I reported my screen as chipped , needing replacement , to my insurance company hotline (which turned out to be a call centre for the Windscreen replacement company). They informed me that it would take a few days to order one in, "cos it's an old car"....

3 weeks later..... i'm told it's here
When I went to the fitting station (at my pre-arranged appointment time), they didn't have my booking, then said they didn't have my windscreen in. Then spent 15 minutes trying to find it... Found it.
Then promptly Put a foot long crack in it when picking it up.
Day off work wasted,.... another 3 week wait.

When they next had one in, I got them to come to my house to fit.
The young lad doing the fitting proudly told me that I had the only one in the country currently and it had be shipped in especially :roll: , yeh right!
Offered him a coffee, and he said "no thanks won't be long".... 2 hrs later.....
Blimey.

I had a choice of tint colour, I think it took two days - and they came to the office and did it in the car park here. 'vert screens are different to tintops, though, so mebbe that's what caused the delay?

·
Registered
181 Posts
JimmyG said:
one things for sure its a PITA!!
PITA yes, but as someone who's changed screens both in my 900 and my MGB GT I can honestly say I prefer the Saab to the MG. There is no feeling of deflation like when you accidentally puncture the rubber with the tool you're using to fit the chrome trim around the screen, nick the edge of the glass and crack it. It's even worse when it's taken 4 hours work to get to that point!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Matthew said:
Lots of cups of tea though :D
which, lets face it, is NEVER a bad thing......

think I might become a windscreen fitter ;)

G

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
Matthew said:
Take a genuine SAAB black handled flat bladed screwdriver....
I strongly recommend avoiding the use of metal tools; one slip and the glass cracks (I've cracked 2 of the many I've installed).
I use plastic, wood would probably work.

I hate the French keyboards.
Un maudit AZERTY mon ami? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Nylon tools work better, I've got a few "custom made" bits for removing and fitting glass. Sillicone spray is good ,but makes a huge mess, A few drops of dish washing liquid mixed with water in a pump-spray bottle is the best.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Matthew said:
Plenty of 900s out there with green windscreens but bronze everything else...

Convertible has green tint.

We should also make a point that the vert has a very different windscreen design. The seal is very very different.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.