SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to remove my oil pan soon. My Haynes manual doesn't say much about it. Anyone know a step by step procedure list on the web? I understand that I have to lower the "subframe"?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Yep, then unbolt the pan, you may need to whack it with a hammer first.

Actually, since you just had the valve cover seal done, you can easily undo that and take a peak without having to replace the gasket. Look and see what the shop was talking about.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Good luck and may the Swedes smile on you. Remember, the subframe bolts hate you... hate them back first.
A good dose of PB Blaster the night before and 6-point impact sockets with a 2' breaker bar and 2' section of black pipe will break-em loose. If the socket keeps slipping of the bolt head, use an hydraulic jack to keep the socket tight (Jeremy's tip, not mine)... Ron

·
Registered
666 Posts
Of course, now I'm remembering the experience and I do remember breaking some sockets. To be fair, they were old but they had no noticeable cracks. So, definitely have a way to get to a tool supplier once you've got your exhaust dropped and half of the subframe unbolted.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Clean the screw heads as best can be done; the tool grip must be 100%; the torx must fit perfectly.
Then use an impact device or gun, the vibrations should do the trick.
Tempting to use PB Blaster, but I see none of it permeating to the threads.
If the screws are still recalcitrant, try heat, a mini torch.
Do be successful, and good luck.:cheesy:
And this for a nutziod idea.
If the oil pan does not lose its death grip on the engine block, and the rubber hammer trick works not(I do not see how it could), heat the bolts that still grip and or heat the pan.
The expansion/contraction of metal should cause a break of the unwanted bond.
Use no more heat than necessary, use propane, even butane..

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
EW, mine had been off a few years prior, so the red Loctite might have not been used then. I remember getting all the calipers off my Sierra the first time. I did have to use some heat to get the Loctite to give... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Heat and vibration are two of man's greatest discoveries, but there is one greater yet....and its all over this forum...:cheesy:
The manufacturer should state which locktite to use and where, I guess the WIS is good at that....Haynes says nothing:nono;
Adrian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.