SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone wanna help me out... its pretty nasty... everytime i lift the hood im like ewwwww.

i hav an open air intake too... so i dont wanna b using too much moisture...

advice? tips? anyone? (i know there was another topic on this awahile ago but i cant find it...)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I think I might have beat Chris in with the Pic...

I use several things (1) Engine degreaser (2) Brake Cleaner (3) an old windex bottle with 20 parts water to 1 part soap (left over from an sticker application)

I mostly use number 3 nowadays, 2 if 3 don't work and 1 if there's something really bad. But I only work on small sections at a time.

To get started - Take off one piece - like the engine cover - and get it perfect. Clean it like you were about to eat off of it. Then Put it back on. Then you'll see the things next to it look like H3ll. Then clean the worst one in the same manner. In a couple hours you'll have a sparkling engine bay! :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't needed to cleaned the engine bay in my Saab yet, but in my BMW and other cars I've detailed I just take some simple green and then hit it with the "jet" setting on our garden hose.

Kinda a brute way of doing it, but it works without fail. On the Saab though, I'm hesitant to do that method because it seems some serious electronics are only protected under a plastic sheild and a whimpy rubber seal. :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
And me and me..........

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hendrik said:
Chris I am missing this rubberringthing ..................can you explain the function:eek:
regards Henk
The rubber ring helps with buoyancy if the car falls into the water :p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Mmmm Simple Greeeen... Amazing stuff!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
Are those aftermarket valve covers or did you paint them??.. If painted.. what kind of spray paint did you use.. anything special or just about anything will do?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Linear Thinker said:
Are those aftermarket valve covers or did you paint them??.. If painted.. what kind of spray paint did you use.. anything special or just about anything will do?
Usually they were powder coated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts