SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just recently set up a spare laptop with GlobalTIS but how can I check if I have security access. I have OG 9-3 and 06' 9-5. I know those two don't need security access, but is there a way to check? Is there a change or anything on those two cars that would require me to get security access?

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
You do not need security access for your cars.
TECH2 will tell when you need security access and it will explain what to do.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do not need security access for your cars.
TECH2 will tell when you need security access and it will explain what to do.
I know that, which is the key of this question. How do I check if I can get security access (if I installed GlobalTIS right). Is there a way to check since I have cars that dont need security access?

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
First you select which module you want to change or reprogram it.
Than you start to reprogram module. If this needs security access, TECH2 will tell it. Then follow what TECH2 tells.
You can not "precheck" this.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which module on those cars needs security access? How do I get to that point on my 2 cars I listed?

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
If the Tech II talks to the computer, you probably have security access. Most of the problems seem to involve getting the two to talk to each other. Trying an SPS update of whatever your car might allow updates (ACC would be a safe bet) is one way to check communications.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I will try sps or acc...I tried getting security access w/o the car and it said it was successful so maybe that's a good sign. I will be able to try it on a newer 9-3 on Monday and know for sure I guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nope. Security access needs to ask first with TECH2. You can not get security access accidentally.
Security access is specific to the car you are working on. You need to connect to the car, request security access, then connect back to the PC to so it can generate the keys, and then you connect back to the car. It's only good for the VIN number you're currently working on and it will be lost when you shut off the Tech2 or close Tech2Win.

My experience is that all of this software is full of bugs--I would not be surprised at all if it claimed you had security access even if you ran it without first connecting to the car.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for explaining but I know how it works, my question was/is can I check if I have security access w/o the actual car, that's all. I guess answer is no but I thought there has to be a way to double check the system or something similar.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for explaining but I know how it works, my question was/is can I check if I have security access w/o the actual car, that's all. I guess answer is no but I thought there has to be a way to double check the system or something similar.
So this is my point, it is impossible to have security access to a car you don't have.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought maybe there is a way but I guess not.

Ok, I just installed new CIM in the car but I cant turn the (matching) key in the ignition at all. Is it a bad ignition switch?

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I assume this is an NG9-3.

The CIM would either have to be brand-new, or come with a matching key.

WIS says that a brand new CIM can use a key that was used on another CIM. Mimmi disagrees. I have never tried this.

In any case, you need to program the new CIM to the car. And yes, Tech II will ask for security access which you will have to grant using the software on the laptop. And once you have security access, you can program the CIM and the fob(s).

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
WIS says that a brand new CIM can use a key that was used on another CIM. Mimmi disagrees. I have never tried this.
New CIM can use old fobs that are from THIS CAR ONLY. Fobs needs to be stored to ECU. I have never tried this, but I have done several.
You need TECH2, CANdi and security access.

·
Registered
1999 OG 9-3 'vert
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks EdT, but don't I need to turn the key to on position in order for car (ECU) to talk to the tech 2?
I thought I turn the key, access the car with tech 2, car ask for access and than I go to the laptop.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
TECH2 will tell how-to if you can not turn fob.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts