SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased new brake discs and brake pads, and I was hoping that someone could give me instructions (or point me to them) for changing out these parts on my own. I haven't done much work on the car on my own, but I thought this might be simple enough for me to do, and avoid the $300 labor charge

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/ng900set/BrakesR/rear_pads.html?200618

Please do not forget these

That $300 must be an exaggeration - for the fronts only, this works out to $400 per hour, more than many doctors, its in the attorney arena...
A day or so ago an experienced DIY did his fronts in less than 45 minutes, including a break !

BTW, "doing" the brakes is more than just changing pads, some measuring and a lot of inspection is necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They charge $100 an hour for labor and said that to change the front and rear pads and rotors it would take 2.5-3 hours of work.

·
Registered
346 Posts
pixelcandy said:
They charge $100 an hour for labor and said that to change the front and rear pads and rotors it would take 2.5-3 hours of work.
that long to change brakes wow thats long i done my own (front and rear) in 1 hour to 1.5 hrs.thats shocking time to take 2.5-3 hrs.who is doing it a 1st year mech that dont know what he doing ???

it does not take much to do it your self just some tools like rachet couple of sockets (cant remember sizes right now at work and its 3.30am :( but think its a 18mm for the caliper carriers) a size 7 alankey for the calaipers flat blade screw driver or something along those lines to help get caliper off.i think its a t25 torque bit for the screw that holds the brake disc on.might need a 'soft//dead blow' hammer to get old disk off if it has been on for a while. clean all grease and dirt off new discs with brake cleaner then push the pistion on the calliper back, then reassemble.remember to clean up bolts and use lock tight on the threads and making sure everything is tight.use a little copper grease on the pads where they sit in the carrier so they move freely dont put lots on or the dust will stick to it and cause squeeky brakes later on.then put wheel back on and take it out for a test drive REMEMBERING to AVOID HARD BRAKEING FOR 100 MILES.this allowes the brakes to settle in.

hope this helps

dan

edit:- take brake resivwire cap off (where the brake fluid goes that cap) so when you push the pistion back you dont dammage the seals in the system.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
If you are anyplace in Northern VA I can offer help. As for instructions, this is hands down my favorite list of instructions:

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20070809.Saab_NG900_308mm_Front_Brake_Upgrade/
This is listed as an upgrade because he is putting on viggen parts. But overall the steps are the same. You don't need to worry about "bleeding" the brakes, since you wont be removing the calipers.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20070602.Saab_9-5_Front_Brakes/
This is for doing just pads and rotors on the 9-5 but its practically the same.

My added advice is be really carefull with the 5mm allen screw that holds the disks on. Its really easy to strip out. Use something like PB blaster, Liquid wrench or IN-force and let them soak for a bit to loosen things up.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
My added advice is be really carefull with the 5mm allen screw that holds the disks on. Its really easy to strip out. Use something like PB blaster, Liquid wrench or IN-force and let them soak for a bit to loosen things up.
Go ahead and have your drill ready too. I swear these set screws are made of cream cheese. I let mine soak for a few hours and they still stripped out. :roll:

·
Registered
346 Posts
nocluetim said:
Go ahead and have your drill ready too. I swear these set screws are made of cream cheese. I let mine soak for a few hours and they still stripped out. :roll:
yeah they can but if you give it a few hits with a hammer before trying to take it out helps too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to video

So Im working on this video Vlogs of DIY projects on my SAAB 9-3 2006 and figure I share it with you guys. Im a former U.S Army helicopter mechanic and current entry level car mechanic at Subaru,and active DIYer on my Saab
This video is only about changing the break pads not the rotors. I might do one video on the rotors out some time in the near future. For right now hope this video helps some folks

http://youtu.be/3Vz2AZnNAJc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts