SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been addressed in the past, like many things on this awesome forum. But for my own knowledge I'm curious as to what I can do, in my spare time to take care of my car ('08 9-3 SS). What things should be checked on a semi-regular basis in between dealership service visits? And what equipment, tools, or materials should I have on hand? Of course I should keep an eye on my oil and coolant levels. I have no experience working on cars at all. The most I have done was replace a head light bulb in my first car, haha. Do any of you out there have a routine or checklist that you go through? I'm just curious, as I want to take the best care of my new Saab as possible.

Thanks in Advance!

~Cheers

·
Registered
691 Posts
clean you car.. interior and exterior..
change your spark plug..
change your oil if youre not under warranty anymore (really ez on saab..)
rotate your tire..

cabin filter..

look on the how to section and you will see a lot of thing... look for what you can do yourself ;) you will save money..

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Possible checklist:

Often (maybe weekly or every fortnight):
check tire pressure
wash off brake dust
wipe dust off dashboard

Less often:
check oil level, glance at brake fluid and coolant level
check CV boots (turn wheel one way and look inside the front wheel wells and see that the rubber part over the axle is not torn)
wash and wax car, vacuum inside

Try changing the oil. It's not hard. No ramps needed unless it's an Aero. If it's an Aero, you might be able to drive over a wooden board to boost the car up an inch.

The air filter is easy to change. The cabin air filter is not much more difficult. Wipers are easy to change.

After a while, you can probably do everything except automatic transmission fluid, brake pads/rotors, serpentine belt, shock absorbers. Even those can be done by the do it yourselfer. The main thing you need are some nitrile or vinyl gloves and some wrenches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts