SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Ultimately I will replace purge valve if it's bad.) 2000 9-3 T-7

Which hose do I block off? So far I pulled the hose off the back of the TB and added a small lenght of vac line which I blocked off. The line I pulled off is left open into the engine bay? There are a couple of one-way valves that are attached to it. Or do I unplug the hose directly from the purge valve and block the hose there?

I've included a few photos of the lines I'm talking about.

Oh and I just got a CEL 30min after block off the TB. Is this normal? I thought only unpluging the Purge valve electrical connection would generate a CEL.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The hose you want to block is the one that goes to the intake manifold. When the engine is running, you can detect a vacuum at this hose.Also,when it is disconnected from the purge valve and before you block it, you can expect the engine to idle less smoothly, but to idle normally after it is plugged
At lleast, the above comments apply to NA engines, I'm not sure if they apply to turbo engines.
I don't know about the CEL, but blocking this line does impact enviromental air qualityor it would if everyone did so.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Satinsax said:
John Bernard...Would you point me in the right direction? I thought the Hose coming out from the back of the Throttle body was the Intake Manifold hose. If not, where would I locate it?
I confess to not knowing whether the hose from the purge valve goes to the throttle body or the manifold. But there are two hoses at the purge valve and one comes from the charcoal canister at a remote location and one goes to the engine. The one going to the engine is the one you want to plug.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Darren...Will do...Is there a difference between blocking directly at the TB or Off the purge Valve? I know there are a few one-way check valves and tee's there. Trying to understand the the flow path.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Satinsax said:
Thanks Darren...Will do...Is there a difference between blocking directly at the TB or Off the purge Valve? I know there are a few one-way check valves and tee's there. Trying to understand the the flow path.
If you left the hose open as shown in your first pic, you'd be pulling unmetered air into your turbo which would throw a CEL shortly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.