SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Hello all, I just thought that I would fill you all in on how I am learning more about my 9000 Aero.
Here in western washington state we are lucky enough to have a few "Pick a-part" stores. Basically they are a junk yard (some of you on the other side of the pond might call them "Breakers") that allow the customer to pull the parts off of the cars that they want, purchase these parts,and save approx 80/90% from new. So what, big deal, huh? Well, for you naysayers out there, you obviously don't purchase a worn ball joint,take the time and trouble to remove the cv joint boots, brake pads that have very little life left, etc. :roll:
So here is the beauty of this, when I go on a "hunt", there are certain parts that I will always look for, turbo,apc,coil cassette, large capacity alternator,brackets,door weatherstrips, windows, tail light lenses, rear reflector, and a few other things that catch my eye. At these places you are required to bring your own tools and never expect anyone eles to help.
I have assembled what I call my pull a-part bag, it has most of the tools that I may need to remove what ever I want. These tools are not expensive by any means, example; 4 wrenches for 5.00, or whatever you can afford to loose...becouse you will. My bag has a sling so it can ride on my shoulder and leave my hands free to carry the parts that I have "discovered".
Now, the learning, not only do you figure out how a piece should come off, but also go back on your car when you need to. Since I am an obsessive kind of guy, I will take apart things just to figure out how they work. About a month ago I completely dismantaled the abs system, wheel sensors to fuse box, just to find out how it works. I would have never done this to my own car out of fear that I may ruin something very expensive. I have pulled off heads, removed valve trains,taken off door and hatch panels and more, just to figure it all out. So hey, whats the worst that could happen? I break a broken car?
One thing that I always do is to not destroy any thing that I am working on, never cut wires, never hack saw stuff, I always figure that there will be another Sabbaholic after me that will be "picking" this car so as a courtesy, what ever I take apart I always leave in a nice pile inside the car.
Some of my finds, a turbo with zero end play from a 20,000 mile car=25.00...direct coil cassette (red and black)= 15.00 each...powerseat motors and switches = 40.00...fuel rails w/injectors= 12.00.....sunroof glass and all the hardware including the motor= 75.00....complete rear hatch w/glass and wiper motor= 100.00....head light assemblys both sides and I think they are e-code = 50.00....all weather strips door and otherwise are 1.00 per foot.
The only problem is that you have to check daily to see what has come in, but if you are lucky, you may open the hood and discover,(angels singing in the background), a nearly new cassette, the apc, the turbo and aftermarket down tube, and (how cool is this) a complete 3 inch exhaust system minus the cat...all that on a 20k '95 Aero. It did take me three hours to remove it all, but when it was done I believe I paid about 175.00 for all of that!:cheesy:
Thats it for now, happy picking..
Allen Jackson

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
One thing that I always do is to not destroy any thing that I am working on, never cut wires, never hack saw stuff, I always figure that there will be another Sabbaholic after me that will be "picking" this car....
If you do it enough, you'll find that cutting and hacking stuff out is almost always harder than doing it the right way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
how

hi.also there's always that darned elusive fastener--screw, clip, bolt etc. always handy to get a container of screws,bolts,clips and nuts(even the ones that go behind the wheel!!!) love that car.cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts