SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do the Aux input mod on my 93 so that I can plug my XM radio or ipod in.(one at a time). I have read some of the threads about it, and the wiring and such seem pretty straightforward, but I am trying to figure out how to remove the kickpanel to get at all the electronics back there. I want to mount the input and the switch on the passenger side kick panel where that little plastic piece pops out. From looking at some pictures associated with the project, I have seen that the glovebox needs to come apart to some extent, along with some other stuff. I do not have any diagrams at all to go by, so I don't want to just start ripping the car apart.

Also, my vehicle has onstar, which I don't and most likely never will use. I assume that when doing this mod the telephone/onstar portion of things is disabled. I figure to do this mod before I start ripping apart the onstar system and hacking into the gps.

Lastly, as far as pulling the radio out, should I just use the coathanger trick, or is the removal tool a pretty standard piece I could find around town?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Ive never used the radio removal tool, instead ive stuck my fingers into the tape deck and just pulled it out, since its in there by pressure anyways.

You don't have to remove your glovebox to get to your wires and stuff behind your dash, unless you need to get to the ECU which is on the lower righthand side of the passengers footwell, then you need to take out the glovebox. Just take off the kickpanel on the left side of the passenger footwell.. its held in by 3 screws i believe, one being inside the glovebox. It should be able to slide off then, and you will probably be able to just push out your ACC and radio from the back.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sethsev7n said:
Ive never used the radio removal tool, instead ive stuck my fingers into the tape deck and just pulled it out, since its in there by pressure anyways.
What is this "tape" you speak of. :p

Thanks for the info on the kickplate removal, ill give it a try.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey DougR,

I figured it'd be a little more information to post here.

As for the soldering on the OnStar system, I did it exactly like everyone else. Cut the trace and solder the L&R to the telephone circuit. Also solder up the ground on the audio jack. Next, solder up the switch to trigger the TELMUTE into the appropriate location.

The switch and jack placemant that I used was on the kick panel on this itty bitty tab.

ELECTRONICS REMOVAL -

I popped out the OnStar button with a little flat screwdriver (coated in duct tape to not scratch anything). After that, I popped out my ACC Panel and disconnected it. After that, I used the radio removal tool (beautifully bent coat hanger wire will suffice) and removed the radio. To access the little tab on the kick panel, there is no removal of the glove needed. Simple reach back there through the space the ACC was, and pop it out with 2 little clips. Very simple. If you need pictures on what it looks like from inside (the tab), I can probably snap a few. But my guess say once you get the ACC out, you are home free and you'll have a lot more room to work with. I didn't just remove the radio first as this would have left me with not enough space.

-Avinash Rawana

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info avixcore, that really helps, I never thought of going in that way. I think I noticed in your pics that you had the whole panel off the passenger side though. Or is that what you are saying. I have had success removing the little panel that you used for your switch and plug, and that is where I plan to mount mine too. Is that what you are talking about accessing once you have the AC unit out, or are you talking about removing the whole panel is just two clips once you get the AC out?

I may be thinking of someone elses install however.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm talking about removing the little panel that pops out, not the big kick panel. I never had to remove the big kick panel, just that little one..once the ACC Is out. :)

2 clips removes that tiny little panel, not the kick panel.

-Avi

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I just realized I was looking at someone elses pics where they had the kickpanel removed. I will try it your way, it seems a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
avixcore, would you mind telling be if I have things correct. My one confusion is in "tracing" tel L & R. It has been about 15 years since I had an electronics class for a semester, so I am a bit lost :) Basically is tel L&R connected, and you have to cut through the line that is connecting them to seperate them?

So the wiring should be as follows:

Toggle Switch
1 wire between COM & Tel Mute
1 wire between A or B and a ground point(in the green)

Audio Jack

Black wire goes from Base on the plug to a ground point

I am confused with the other two. I assume one goes from the top connector on the jack to L or R tel and the one toward the bottom goes to L or R tel. Which ones go where?

edit:

Will normal "hookup" wire from ratshack be ok, it says it is 22 guage wire.

link

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, cutting the trace is simply removing the link between the channels (to give you stereo instead of mono). I suggest cutting at 2 opposing angles, like this \ /. That should ensure you cut it well enough, I used an extremely sharp Exacto knife. I also didn't cut it through the first time and thought I did, resulted in monaural sound.

You are correct for the SWITCH and JACK. I'm gonna repeat it just in case though.

Toggle Switch :

1 Wire that connects COM (Middle Prong of switch) to TELMUTE Solder Point.

1 Wire that connects AorB (To either side of COM) and a ground point.

Audio Jack :

The base goes to the ground point. I'm not sure which one goes where because I didn't take note.. To test it however, I remember twisting the L and R wire tightly. You may choose to connect 1 channel (such as L or R) while music is playing on your MP3 Player just to see what channel is which. Take note, and solder the connections after you determine which one was what.

-Avinash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts