SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I replace the blower motor in my 06 with a valeo from eeuro because I was getting barely any blowing from my old one. I chose to replace the motor rather than the controller for the following reasons:

1. cheaper and easier
2. though week, the speed would still vary based on the ACC speed setting
3. concurrence from my long-time trusted saab mechanic that the strength of the air coming out of the vents was definitely weak

After replacement, it's definitely better. But even on maximum speed it's pretty damn underwhelming compared to other cars I have ('06 nissan quest, 08 ford taurus). So I'm wondering if this is just how it is with the 06 9-5, or if I need to keep hunting.

Before anybody suggests the obvious "replace the cabin air filter"...I actually don't even have one installed at the moment. I pulled it out while waiting for the new one to arrive so that I could get as much air flow through as possible.

All thoughts most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sounds like the controller. My '08 worked on all fan speeds when manually-dialed but when in Auto mode it was always weak and never responded to a change in Temp setting. New controller solved it.

You can use a pre-'06 controller which is less expensive and switch it without removing the blower. You just have to splice into the wiring harness - wire colors and functions are the same.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the controller. My '08 worked on all fan speeds when manually-dialed but when in Auto mode it was always weak and never responded to a change in Temp setting. New controller solved it.
Interesting, but those are definitely different symptoms from what I experience. Mine varies speed automatically and manually.

The two seem to have balanced out in price recently--not that much difference between the two.

Since yours works, how hard does it blow when you crank it to maximum speed? Can you feel the breeze on your face sitting normally in the driver's seat? Because I can't.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Interesting. We don’t read of many cabin fans failing on these cars. Get a good grip on your old one, get an accomplice to apply 12 volts, and it should make you glad you didn’t try to do it single handed! Shame you can’t easily compare with the new one now it’s installed.

I’d go with the controller too. The other possibility is the blending/mixing flap mechanisms aren’t directing the air 100% to the panel vents. With panel set, is there still any air coming out the floor level or screen vents?

Doug

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
When the fan speed was switched manually, it increased in steps but the max output was not strong and nothing like it is now after I replaced the controller.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had this issue on my 2000. Fan speed increased with each step, but still weak even on max. 8/8 bars felt like 3/8. New fan controller solved it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My 2006 is like a wind tunnel on max fan, so I feel like something is definitely not right with yours. Sounds like others are pointing you in the right direction.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I replaced the controller on my06 last year. I spliced the motor leads that I cut from the old controller and did not take go into the motor under the hood. I have to turn the air away from my face. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts