SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 9-3 ARC with the auto/manual trans.

I see a lot of 9-3's on here modding their cars but most of them are 6-speed manual owners. I have the 5-speed auto. and I wanted to know if it can handle modification..

I don't want to start modding my car and find out later that I had a glass transmission... just waiting to break.

My wish-list is simple.

-K&N air filter
-Sport Exhaust
-BSR Stage 1
-FMIC
-MSD Ignition

Any opinions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so 280 ft. lb. of torque is my limit, how much BHP??

·
Registered
297 Posts
krock1030 said:
Hello, I have a 2003 9-3 ARC with the auto/manual trans.

I see a lot of 9-3's on here modding their cars but most of them are 6-speed manual owners. I have the 5-speed auto. and I wanted to know if it can handle modification..

I don't want to start modding my car and find out later that I had a glass transmission... just waiting to break.

My wish-list is simple.

-K&N air filter
-Sport Exhaust
-BSR Stage 1
-FMIC
-MSD Ignition

Any opinions?
Thats a strange wish list. I don't think it's even possible to incorporate MSD ignition into the T8, and a $1,000+ FMIC is a waste without the proper programming (Custom maps or stage 5 from Map Tun)and other components, you'll just end up with greater spool-up times and relatively no gain in hp or torque. However the air filter, BSR stage 1, and sport exhaust will work nicely together, and your trans should still be safe. Now a torque limit figure is to prevent shearing shafts, and smoking clutches/bands. So you will wear the trans. substanially quicker and of course shorter maintenance intervals will be required, but no it will not "fail" upon full throttle, so keep that in mind as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so no MSD? that's fine... only reason I even had MSD in mind is because I ran MSD ignition in my last 2 cars but i'll def. take your word for it...

can anyone provide me with link that explains maptun, in a way that i'd understand it.. or anyone wants to explain it to me in their own words, that'd be great as well :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
JonV said:
I don't think an MSD igition would play well with our ECM's, Just go BSR, DP/Catback rather than the Cooler & Ignition.
an MSD box would only come into play after the ECM decides when to spark....it would take the signal from he ECM and spark multiple times instead of once. I'm not sure, but from the way I understand how T8 works I don't think it would have a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If you plan to keep the car for 2+ years I would go easy on the tranny. I have an 03 Auto sentronic and the tranny was replaced at around 48K miles (thank God). I actually had no clue there was an issue.. dealer just said it was throwing them codes and they wanted to keep it... 1 month later i got it back... it did feel a bit better but it was a big surprise.

I would go drop-in filter, full exhaust system (down pipe only if you want to do a stage or so), some new wheels/tires, and spend the rest of the money you would have spent on a really good service.. brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluids, all the filters... then drive it like you stole the mother *******!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CallipNCSUsaab said:
If you plan to keep the car for 2+ years I would go easy on the tranny. I have an 03 Auto sentronic and the tranny was replaced at around 48K miles (thank God). I actually had no clue there was an issue.. dealer just said it was throwing them codes and they wanted to keep it... 1 month later i got it back... it did feel a bit better but it was a big surprise.

I would go drop-in filter, full exhaust system (down pipe only if you want to do a stage or so), some new wheels/tires, and spend the rest of the money you would have spent on a really good service.. brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluids, all the filters... then drive it like you stole the mother *******!
HAHA! noted!

The auto. tranny being replaced, is that a regular occurance with this car?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
well, no it is not common place.. but there are a number of 2003 auto trannys on here that were replaced. Its your opinion on if thats a % of 2003 auto's or a % of people who seeked the internet for help or Q&A's....

I would still go easy on it and do the things that make it sound and look great.... the car looks better than SO many cars on the market as-is... it is not the best car for racing stop light to stop light (though I know it can.. and has done well for me).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
being an automatic, would you recommend the BSR stage 1??

·
Registered
194 Posts
I personally would recommend the BSR PPC - I have it in my '06 Aero automatic and have nothing but praise for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bob Z. said:
I personally would recommend the BSR PPC - I have it in my '06 Aero automatic and have nothing but praise for it.
Does the 2.8T have the same auto-trans. as the 2003 2.0T? I thought the new aero had the 6-speed auto.?

either way how are your transmissions responding to the BSR tune?

anyone with a 2.0T auto. want to chime in? :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
2.8T has an Aisin 6 speed auto. I am pretty sure its torque limit is significantly higher than the 5 speed Auto in 2.0t/T.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
to the poster, 2 quick things... the people who suggested it have 06 and 07 models with plenty of warranty left and better builds... ALSO, go out to your garage and remove the negative cabel from your battery.. go watch a re-run of seinfield.. now, go hook up the negative terminal and find a good open road you can really dog your car on... you will notice the car has forgot how you drive... the RPMs will excel WAY FASTER than usual... I think thats what you are going to feel if you get the BSR... over time though the car learns you generally go mediocre to fast from stop to stop and your performance/seat of the pants feeling will deplete... seriously, give it a whirl. About once every few months I go do that for the pure fun of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Orlandoaero said:
2.8T has an Aisin 6 speed auto. I am pretty sure its torque limit is significantly higher than the 5 speed Auto in 2.0t/T.
That's what I figured...:roll:

I'm still a good month or 2 away before I purchase the BSR PPC but I figured I would collect all helpful info. now so I wouldn't be going into it blind..

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Like most trannys these days, they are pretty much bullet proof. The 03' issue had to do with coolant lines, not the actually tranny.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cosmicflash said:
Like most trannys these days, they are pretty much bullet proof. The 03' issue had to do with coolant lines, not the actually tranny.
what a relief... bullet-proof is just what I wanted to hear haha

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it's been one day since I posted about being happy that my auto. transmission maybe bullet-proof... and now my car is hard shifting as well as delayed... feels like it's slipping...

Dealer says right side motor mounts need to be replaced...do you think that's the problem or is there a TSB or RECALL involving these symptoms??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts