SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first new 93 in the flesh today (someone getting a test drive).

How nice was it?

Scherrrrrwwwwing! (Very very nice).

Logging onto Saab.co.uk to book me a test drive as we speak..

Mark P

·
Registered
631 Posts
I went to my local dealer today to have a look-see....

They didn't have any!!! They were both at the Dorchester Show :( But the salesman invited me back for a test-drive next week. He sorted me out with all the brochures (but not the nice leather-bound one :( ) and price list.

Now.. My 1989 900 T16 was £18,500 new... And I thought that £22k ish for the Aero was almost reasonable....Until I started browsing the "must have" options list that is.. Now it's nearer £29k.. :D Ah well.....

So I haven't seen it "in the flesh", but the photos look good!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, I've seen it. And I've got to say, I'm slightly disapointed.
Parked right next to it in the showroom was an "old style" 9-3..
The old style was so obviously a Saab, and it looked beautiful in the matalic blue.
The new one?
take the badges off and it could have been anything...
It is a smart looking car, with a very powerfull presence, no doubt, it IS a nice car.
But It doesn't look like a Saab :(

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have just dragged one of my work colleagues down to the local Saab dealer for a look at the new 93 and the one in the showroom was a really awful grey (not metallic or silver - just primer grey!). :eek:

A very bizarre choice of colour...

Anyone else seen this colour?

Mark P

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, I saw my first new 9-3 last week while visiting a SAAB dealer, it was red. I have to say, that at first it looked way too much B*W 300-series to me, but after few moments, I started to like it. But I still would've taken that black, "old" 9-3 cabriolet 2.0 turbo with factory upgrade kit...THAT was swweeeeett, and only 40000 EUR :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I testdrived a new 9-3 2.0t automatic today! I have to say that it is unbelievable car! There is huge difference between `98 9-3 2.0i SE and that new 9-3. I`m very suprised how good suspension new 9-3 has. And it`s hard to believe that there is ONLY 175 hp under the hood... Speedlimits in public roads are too low for this car!

Top speed of that car is 220km/h but I regonized a bit higher numbers at speedometer! :roll:

Tomorrow I will testdrive it with manual transmission... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dolphin (Battleship) Grey

the colour referred too in previous post is Dolphin Grey. Looks like SAAB have purchased a job lot of old Royal Navy Grey!! :roll:

There are some better colours as displayed in the new brochure.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here goes....

Tried the new 93 sport saloon today and it's brilliant!

It truly is a contender for the title of best handling car around. Ultimate driving machine - didn't that used to be BMW's slogan? :eek: Driven with gusto (and I did), the handling is sublime. Truly outstanding! The chassis dynamics are exceptional. It loves to be thrown into corners and grip from the 17" Michelin Pilot Supremacys is tremendous. Ride quality is simply light years ahead of the model before. The powerplant is everything that a turbo engine should be: powerful, smooth, free revving and it gives you an incredible, relentless surge of torque. Only after a test drive does the 'first sketch' of the smiling man make sense. I was that man! :lol:

If this new model is laying the foundations for things to comes, we're all in for a treat. Don't take my word for it. Look up your local dealer in the listings and get a test drive.!

Mark P 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
8)

Mark...my test drive is tomorrow....very interesting to hear your comments. My local dealer in Tunbridge Wells has a silver auto 175bhp 9-3 demonstrator. I think its a Vector trim aswell. Will post my impressions later. Can't wait. Richie

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Rich
I also tried the (dare I say it) 2.2 TiD (125bhp) and even that flummoxed me. A cracking little engine despite oil- burners not really being my thing.

Mountains of torque (from little more than tickover) hid the lowly BHP figure very well indeed, and it picked up it's heels far quicker than something with 125bhp has a right to. Impressive.

But, without a doubt the jewels in Saab's crown are the petrol engines. The best way to describe the power delivery is :lol: :lol:

The chassis dynamics are superb (especially in the vector). You have to experience it to believe it....

Let us know how you get on!

Mark P

·
Registered
28 Posts
:D

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to it. The Autocar review is a bit mixed :eek: , and to be honest I don't take a lot of notice of them. Much prefer to trust the reviews of other people + first hand knowledge. Will give my humble opinion review tomorrow. Must say, went down to the showroom yesterday and it looks the dogs to me.

Asked the salesman a bit about the perceived Vauxhallness, based on what Autocar had said, and he basically contadicted everything, saying that most of the parts and all the design is pure Saab. So I don't know what to think now. Better let the car speak for itself.
:wink:

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I arrived for the test drive, I think I spooked the sales guy a bit. After getting into the car and strapping myself in (in relative silence), I said (in a strong yokel accent) 'Today, I will be mainly driving very quickly' and started the engine.

The poor b*gger didn't have a clue what I was on about and I swear he went green.... :eek:

I was really tempted to start loudly humming 'Bat out of Hell' as we hit the open roads of the countryside, but I took pity on him.....

I haven't laughed on the inside so much for years.

Mark P

1 - 16 of 16 Posts