SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm not sure how much it will take before damage but I've personally had close to 30 inches of fairly heavy wet snow on mine and had no problems.

There was a thread like this a week or so ago and the general consensus is not to worry about it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the Swedes would consider snow when building a vert...Thanks for the info...Now I can stay inside (working from home today) and clean off the car later

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It seems to me that it's going to depend on the water content of the snow. I did a search and found:

"The weight of snow varies. Light fluffy snow may weigh about 7 pounds per cubic foot. Medium snow might weigh about 15 pounds per cubic foot. Snow in a drift could weigh about 20 pounds per cubic foot."

So, if you know the approximate number of square inches on the roof and the water content of the snow, you can figure out the weight per square inch for every inch in height of the snow.

I seem to remember reading a few posts about over a foot of snow on the vert. And I imagine that they get lots of snow in Sweden... Ron

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just the right amount....

Park it in the garage...:roll:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I just measured the tonneau cover on my Sierra and it's 7' x 5' or 35 square feet. I've had close to a foot of snow on it, so at 7 lbs/sq.ft. that's 245 pounds of snow. And at 20 lbs/sq.ft. that's 700 pounds of snow. No wonder when I hit 70 mph on I-71 no one tailgates me for long... Ron

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Great pics sankuspr!! Now quit hogging all our snow and send some back up here....please....we're almost out !!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well we had the 24 inches here in Va not to long ago it did just fine.

On the other hand the weekend that we had the 19 inches of snow with 3 inches of ice which packed the snow down caused issues for me. I went out to start the car and looked up at the headliner and it was bowed into the car.

So I would say it depends on how heavy the snow is.

My thing is I would just try to keep it off as much as possible.

E

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Great pics sankuspr!! Now quit hogging all our snow and send some back up here....please....we're almost out !!!
Thx! We are still doing pretty well here:roll:. We had 3 storms that ranked in the top ten storms for most snow fall of all [recorded] time (Philadelphia Area). This was the snowiest winter for our region in recorded history! We had one ~3ft storm in December. And another two large storms this February (2-3 ft each). I'm not sure if any of them was the #1 snow storm of all time because we had about 3 1/2 feet in 1996. However, I think they were #'s 2, 3 , and 4 - all in one season! We also had some snow yesterday into today; They were projecting 10-12 inches, but we lucked out with only about 3-4 (only 1-2 inches accumulation on the roadways). Our first bare spots appeared a few days ago (few and far between), but were covered up by the most recent snowfall. As of now, most yards still have an average of 5-8 inches of snow with some banks, drifts, and piles still over the 3-4 foot mark on average. In large parking lots i've seen 'em 6 feet or taller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts