SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i'm really wanting an aero/spg kit. i found one today at the wrecker, but one side the panels are bend with collision damage, not major, but still. what are the panels made off, will the form back? the guy wants $1000 for it, which doesn't include bumpers, just the parts between the wheels. after i expalined how damaged he said $800! the bumpers on the sppg are worse than my current ones which are terrible! but they have a 900s with great bumpers. so i figure i will try to get 900s bumpers, and get the bumper skirts and side moulding off the spg and see if he will do it all for around $700-$800. but now i'm thinking, is this too much, they are damaged! seems insane to spend money liek this on such an old car, but i truly love it! i think i have put like $2k into it since january! i got a turn signal switch off the spg, which works a bit bette than mine, so i allready got an "spg" upgrade. i think the car goes a bit faster:cool: lol. help much appreciated! thanks

(edit)-my idea is also to get all these panels and bumpers, pick up some 400 and 600 grit sandpaer, primer and grey bumper paint and do them myself. would this look very good tho?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys great advice. i think i will try to get the panels still and remove dents with heatgun. the aren't craked or nothing so i stand a good chance, of course i won't be telling that to the seller who already came down in price. but would greay bumper paint out of a spray can (of course i will tka emy time) look very good, its not liek i'm painting the body. is the price still good?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Are you talking about funny canadian money?

If $800 is similar to £300 (which it roughly is) then I would say it's a bit too much to pay for some damaged plastic..! I reckon if you looked for a while (in the UK at least) you would probably find a whole car for that money - with a less damaged kit on it.

But money works strangely and your $800 dollars might be a lot less in relative terms so it's hard to say from here.

If you want to spray the kit in the original colour then you can search for the colour code (unless someone has it handy) and get the paint mixed to the correct colour.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no no, $800 is an insane amount of money for me. i'm a student at 17 years old making $8 hr. so yeah OUCH! but i really like my Saab so i think a kit would bring it together nicely, the car is really nice to look at, new headliner, carpets look brand new, body it is nice, paint is very glossy. i have a small dent at the bottom of my door that would vanish is i got an aero kit as well! i just don't want to pay $800 and then see one for liek $400. i'm sure the parts and/or whole car would be cheaper in europe but shipping it over would bring it right up to nearly the same price if not more. so its like a lose lose situation. Canada seems deprived of excess anything, so some stuff goes for millions of dollars many times. you guys give away old 900 turbo's for free while people here ask $3,000 for the same age/condition 900.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
OK...

$800...

Are you getting an SPG or an SPG kit?! :eek: :lol:

My perfect SPG kit with a slightly bent SPG and screwed front bumper, all in all ended up costing me about $300 including transport (hey a free car helps)...

But $800 just sounds nuts. At any of the scrapyards I frequent I could get a engine and transmission for under $500 and it would have like 50 000 miles on it :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you live in eastern canada tho! where cars are cheap, rusty, and all borken. also parts there and scap yards are so much cheaper. here we have emissions, vehicle inspections if a mean cop wants to do so for a boken headlamp, and we don't have rust issues. i wish i could make a trip that way to get some parts, i may be making a trip to alberta but things aren't rusty enough there either, not like quebec! i remeber seeing through cars there!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah but my car came from New York City!

That SPG was REALLY nice. The guy paid $1000 US for it. A mint SPG, great interior, uncracked dash, beautiful paint and not a speck of rust except on the underside of the doors. Now it's slightly bent out of shape (dumb *** van rammed into the back at a red light, pushing the car into a towtruck) but everytime I look at it I just wish I was a little earlier and paid the guy $1000 and drove it up here :(

There are very few 900's here I have to import all of mine from Vermont (Saab halla!) or NY...

Quebec sucks :lol: the roads are crap, the gas is expensive (not as bad as BC), the taxes are the worst on this side of the planet, and you always have to keep an eye out for smart cops with Spectres :roll:

Mind you - the speed enforcement is not as bad in say, Ontario - and the cops mostly use a constant-on radar so I don't have too many demerit points on my license. Know how Saab always said the performance of the 900 Turbo was designed to be in the "80-160km/h" range? Well I spend a lot of time on one side of that range, guess which one? :lol:

Scrapyards on the island of Montreal are all the ones that won't let you in the yard and really like shoving a CV axle up your rear end :evil: If you go up to Laval there's a guy I know who has typically great prices, but poor selection and they crush the cars after being there for like 2 weeks... I know a great yard in the 'States which has a few Saabs even, I bought a set of four 16" mags off a 2004 car for $100! In Montreal a yard would have charged more than $1200 :eek:

Alberta is actually a pretty nice place...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i ended up getting the whole kit, bumpers from a 900 S that are near mint, i took some wheel arch covers, and i took the bumper spg skirts for $500 even! including all taxes! so thats liek what? EURO 340, GPB 231, AUD 550, USD 415. i think that ended up being a not too bad a deal! what do you think?
i ended up feeling liek he was about to kick me off his yard, but heck, i got them!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Man you scored!

They are gong for $1500 AUD here and that's if you can find them which you can't so I really don't take mine for granted at all.

post the pics when it's fitted won't you?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I wouldn't want to pay more than $200 unless it came on a parts car.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jetman said:
I wouldn't want to pay more than $200 unless it came on a parts car.
haha, once again guys, i live in the west. things are much much more expensive here. $500 is a steal! they go for $1-2k sometimes! even more for an ariflow!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you feel good about it then you have nothing to worry about.

Congrats! :cheesy:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cinemarr said:
If you feel good about it then you have nothing to worry about.

Congrats! :cheesy:
i do, but where on earth do u find the little plastic things you put int he holes so the screws go in them to hold the rails on (couldn't get them off the spg if my life depended on it!. i'm putting rails on right now with sticky tape, it holds very well but this is not how the panels were mounted before!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts