SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about building on this platform, how much power does your 2.0 output reliably?

I'd appreciate but def do not need, suggested modifications.

Thanks,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here is what T8Suite says my Stage 1 tune is doing:

277ft-lbs & 270hp

And if you assume a ~15% drivetrain loss it would be roughly 230hp to the wheels. But that's ideal. It's probably less considering my car has 120,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
270 HP/295 FT LBS in my wife’s VTuned ‘11 NG 9-5 2.0T.

FWIW, prior to his passing, John Lingenfelter was drag racing a 2.0L GM Ecotec with ~1000 HP. So, sky is the limit with enough $$$... ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't been to a dyno on this set up, but MapTun says it is 320 horsepower. Although it does feel like more. I have basically full 3 inch bolt ons, upgraded compressor wheel to 16t, bigger injectors, and upgraded fuel pump for e85. It handles it VERY well for it being front wheel drive. I get no wheel spin unless i brake boost from a dig and that's because I have the stock 215-55r16s and stock suspension. I have been talking to MapTun about pushing it to 450-500 horsepower at the crank, but I won't be able to dump money on that for another few months. I'd say it's well worth it to spend the cash modding especially with the price of the 9-3 being around $5000 right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I have the b207r, I meant 16T in my post not 19T sorry about that. It's definitely worth it. My turbo will probably be up for sale on here after I order the new one, but that will be a few months like I said.
Did upgrading out the turbo affect AC functionality?

I'm on the fence on grabbing an upgraded turbo and exhaust manifold from Abbott racing, but I'm not sure about giving up that cause it's my daily.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Why would a new turbo impact AC?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did upgrading out the turbo affect AC functionality?

I'm on the fence on grabbing an upgraded turbo and exhaust manifold from Abbott racing, but I'm not sure about giving up that cause it's my daily.
AC blows as cold as ever. Seriously, here in Texas we have been at a constant 105 degrees during the day and this car blows colder than any I've ever had. This is my daily too and at 320+ horsepower it is perfect. Krona exhaust is not too loud and at 75-80 on the highway there is zero drone from the exhaust. Plus at that speed I get 25-30 mpg on e85. Which is insane, because it's cheaper than any gas you can buy here in Texas where it's cheap already.

Also you aren't going to need the exhaust manifold unless you're trying to push 420+ horsepower. Trust me i want one horribly bad because of how mean they look, plus the top end power advantages. I have been talking to MapTun about it, hopefully one of these days they will help me make a kit that utilizes the exhaust manifold and big turbo.

At the MapTun parts website you can go to tuning kits, put in whichever model you have and it will show you the mods you would need for a set amount of power. BioPower is for the e85 conversion, although it is significantly better on our cars because they come with a flex fuel sensor from factory. Allowing you to run gas at the cost of less power. Also keep in mind that they have told me that the power numbers are a minimum and should be more at sea level with the right intake temperatures.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Odd claims here;
My pore old 2.3 on Stge 2 T5suite... maybe makes 240Hp.
It also Breaks traction / spins the tires, (255/16s) pretty well EVERY time Boost hits. Fun yet annoying.
Note that the later 2.0 litre engines are NOT saab engines (spare me) but Chey cavalier repurposed units.
Which means they have None of the overengineering of the genuine article.. IE; little reserve strength to absorb 'increased' outputs.
Have a Care in twisting those things tails ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Note that the later 2.0 litre engines are NOT saab engines (spare me) but Chey cavalier repurposed units. Which means they have None of the overengineering of the genuine article.
Calling them cavalier re-purposed units like that is a bit of a slap in the face. They aren't some left-over redneck metal that the 'Ol GM Boys' strapped a turbo to. The Ecotec was a global GM joint effort by engineers from Opel, GM, Saab and Lotus. It's designed to be light-weight and to different standards (not necessarily better, just different) which means much more aluminum than the iron-block H engine. It's a cross-platform workhorse, which is--for better or worse--how everything is done now.

Even the Saab H engine (and the prior B engine) traces its development to the Slant-4 made by Triumph, as Saab didn't want to take the risk of designing its own engine from scratch.

Out of the box performance (not just hp and tq, but all aspects) and making it cheap is more important to car makers than the durability provided by the 'overengineering' you speak of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts