SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give the brand another 10 years, tops. Then we will all be in possession of orphans. Your thoughts?

And moderator, would you mind leaving this question in this forum?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Oh boy, another thread about how long Saab will survive! There is value in the brand even if GM doesn't want them after a few more years. Sure, the products are becoming more entwined with GM DNA but they could still sell the brand if needed.

Besides, GM has invested a lot of money in Saab recently and there are quite a few products just around the corner that should help move things along. If only GM saw the actual potential in Saab things would be much better.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just judging by the number of saabs in the roads in the uk [particularly the diesels], its an immensely popular brand. I cant see why saab wont continue for a long time to come .[of course Rover was a popluar brand in the UK, didnt stop them going the way of the Dodo]

Of course, that is probably not true of the us...very few saabs knocking around by comparison.

I dont know how the worlds fuel economy will impact the large cars in the us, but I'd imagine saab will be well placed to deal with a rise in fuel prices with their reasonable fuel consumption & biofuel options.

I would be more interested in the poor state of GM...without seeing the books, I'd suggest that saab could be sold off as a brand & a goping concern.

/edit, personally I'd like to see a 9-5 vert, perhaps flip top, perhaps diesel or alternative fuel - I could see myself buying a new saab.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Why the pessimism? The real question is prob how long will the REAL SAAB b around. I personally think we have a good number of years ahead of us either way. In fact what I see is that Saab is rapidly changing and adapting which prob means that the brand is NOT running into the ground.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
DrSandman said:
I give the brand another 10 years, tops. Then we will all be in possession of orphans. Your thoughts?

You need to consult a doctor.:roll:
And after consideration, this would be better in the Lounge...:cheesy:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
DrSandman said:

Dr. Sandman, I think you've been sleeping. :lol:

Saab set a global sales record in 2006 and is expected to approach that mark in 2007.

It has a complete revamping of the entire model line planned from 2008 to 2010, including its first AWD vehicle (with one of the most advanced systems in production), and a sporty crossover....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Saab cars compared to other brands just blows the competition away. It far exceeds the safety of most on the road, and it has great fuel economy.
Some saab eficionatos do not like GM's influence, but I do.
I had a Saturn some years back and I saw Saab's design in that car. So the little Saab car company also helped GM in a big way.
Saab needed some financial backing and GM provided that.
GM needed Saab's technology and concern for it's passengers.
GM was in the aerospace industry for a while, why? They needed that advanced technology, and it worked. I don't see a need for GM to be in the aerospace world now, because they build cars, and Saab is great at building cars.

I always admired Saab, and this 2007 is the first one I ever owned.They just keep getting better.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Saab is a GM product line that has continued to grow. There is more growth potential if GM and Saab make good decisions. Many people complain about GM, but Saab needs GM to survive internationally. Its doubtful Saab could survive selling cars only in Sweden and other neighboring countries. Saab could never survive in the US without GM's dealer network.

Part of the reason Saab has survived and will continue is because of the swelling population of bland taxicab sedans. There are people who don't want to pull up to a stop light and see three or four cars like theirs. Granted Saab is just a car, but at least there isn't 20 million of them on the road.

GM has provided Saab technology to remain competitive and reduce "low production" mistakes. Saab has greatly reduce electrical gremlins improving its reliability from the 80's.

Saab has a core market of buyers in various countries that will continue to buy Saab. Saab's product is evolving into more of a main stream product that will allow the "nameplate" to sell and yet be unique enough to draw new customers.

The neighbors have Lexus, Acura's, Honda's, Toyotas, Cadillacs, BMW's and we've still got one of the the few Saab's in the area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure if this fits in with this thread, but what's the deal with GM moving SAAB production out of Sweden? Seems to me this corporate efficiency move might kill the quirkiness of SAAB I have loved since my first 1975 99 EMS!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I thought Saab moved production BACK into Sweden?!? THe NG900 and OG9-3 were made in Finland and the Netherlands I think. The current 9-3 is assembled in Sweden, engines from Germany and transmissions from Japan, as far as I know. Is Saab moving back out of Sweden??

Anyhow...Saab has come a LONG way since the 1980's (See my list of Saab's owned). Back in the 1980's and 1990's people said the same thing...Saab is going out of business, blah, blah, blah. Yet here we are and Saab has been setting sales records every year for the past 8-10 years.

The question is not if Saab will go out of business, it's why the heck no automaker is ever happy just serving a niche market. Why does everyone want to be like BMW and Toyota?

I think the relationship with GM has gone pretty well so far, for better or worse. The question is will GM continue to allow Saab some design-autonomy. THis is the key to Saab remaining a true Saab....not just another BMW 3-series that has the ignition key between the seats.

I've been on Saab, Volvo, BMW, and Subaru message boards. They are ripe with all the same junk we have over here with Saab. They all ***** about warranty problems, dealers that don't give a crap, and little annoying problems with the cars that noone seems to care about other than the driver/owner. Every third poster swears they will never buy another BMW/Volvo/etc. The Grass is NOT greener.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Nickshu said:
I thought Saab moved production BACK into Sweden?!? THe NG900 and OG9-3 were made in Finland and the Netherlands I think. The current 9-3 is assembled in Sweden, engines from Germany and transmissions from Japan, as far as I know. Is Saab moving back out of Sweden??

I think the relationship with GM has gone pretty well so far, for better or worse. The question is will GM continue to allow Saab some design-autonomy. THis is the key to Saab remaining a true Saab....not just another BMW 3-series that has the ignition key between the seats.
It's Volvo that has made cars in the Netherlands. Valmet in Finland built the original 900 convertible and later some regular 900s. I once owned a 1990 900 built in Finland! The NG900 and OG9-3 were also made there, but I think just the convertible. Most cars were made in Sweden. Arlov, near Malmo, was closed in the early 90's after only a few years. I also had a classic 900 made in Arlov, not Trollhattan! The Trollhattan plant has made most Saabs including the classic 900 (with some production shifting away when the 9000 was built) and all Saabs now except the 9-7X and 9-3SS convertibles.

Later, convertible production started with Magna Steyr, a car company that makes cars under license in Austria, including a Chrysler minivan/Grand Cherokee/Jeep Commander, BMW X3, Mercedes G class (kits but maybe not final assembly). Around that time, the Valmet plant stopped making 900 convertibles but started making Porsche Boxers.

A long time ago, Saab made cars in Belgium. It was either some of the 99's or 96's or something else.

Current Saab transmissions are made in Sweden (manual), but the automatics are Japanese.

I think that Saab is integrated enough into GM that it will last a long time. The question is whether or not the 9-3 will be almost the same as the Vauxhall Vectra. The 9-3's fate is much more secure than the Saab 9-2X, Cadillac Catera, Mercury Capri, Ford XR4Ti (Sierra) or other cars that have a badge stuck on and that are imported into the US under a different brand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I feel that Saab has a nice little niche in the small sporty vehicles.
GM had Saturn making small cars when no one wanted anything but SUVs. I thought Saturn was going to be lost in the shuffle, then they hit a home run with the Vue. Now Saturn doesn't make a small car that has any merit.All pretty much six cylinders.
Have you driven an Ion? I had a 97 SL2 that would put it to shame.
Anyway, Saab 9-3 with 210HP and an economical 4 cylinder is just what I wanted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SAAB is here to stay! GM or not, you can't resist the product and since driver loyalty is so high, SAAB drivers tend to keep it going. The true test is whether SAAB will continue to reciprocate it's love for it's enthusiasts and, thus far, they appear to take care of their drivers (customer loyalty, great warranties, and driver-centric cars).

My first SAAB was an 84 900. I bought it for 1500 US dollars 10 years ago. Now, if that very same car came back to me with 100,000+ more miles on it, I'd still buy it for 1500 (even if it never went in reverse). I might even pay more today since, to me, it's nearly a classic. Simply put, once a SAAB owner, always SAAB at heart. At the very least, you're always looking around to see what they come out with next. I know I do.

·
Registered
364 Posts
SAAB is here to stay. And for some strange reason they are not the used saab dealers will be where I am shopping and the tuning will be extreme, to make an old car to perform better than a new one. And you can get very high milage from a Saab, I've had a couple with 250k+ that could still push a BMW 325 out of my way on the highway.

Edit: Saabtober Fest is the perfect example for that, was in a pack on the way back with a '88 - '91 9000, we where going 120+ mph. averaged 100+ for the ride home. I know I shouldn't be doing and I never do ,but it was that saabtober cider flowing through my body that made me do it.

P.S. much better lounge topic

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nickshu said:
The current 9-3 is assembled in Sweden, engines from Germany and transmissions from Japan, as far as I know.
I believe that SAAB used to use German BOSCH engines. But I think the late models all have GM Ecotec engines. They're made at the Holdel plant in Australia. But everything is assembled in Sweden.

·
Registered
759 Posts
SAABRoma said:
I believe that SAAB used to use German BOSCH engines. But I think the late models all have GM Ecotec engines. They're made at the Holdel plant in Australia. But everything is assembled in Sweden.
Yes, I think the GM Ecotec used in our cars is an GM/Opel adaptation, which is built in Germany.

The 9-5 engines are still the "real" original Saab design, a derivative of the same 2.0/2.3T 16 valve DOHC type being built by Saab since 1985, with some changes of course. I'm sure this will go the way of the do-do with the next 9-5. The 9-3 is totally different, the first true GM/Saab platform. The NG900 and OG9-3 had alot of GM influence, but were still more Saab than GM. Current 9-3 is much more GM, for better or worse.

·
Registered
267 Posts
SAABRoma said:
My sticker says engine (2.0T) produced in Germany. Transmission Sweden (6M).
Content as a percentage;
Sweden 23%
Germany 37%
US/Canadian 1%

Where did the other 39% come from?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts