SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, guys!

Could you please tell me how much pressure the turbo develops on the 9-3 2.0T (Year 1999) LPT (154 hp) and on the HPT (185 hp)?

A search at Google did not help at all...

EDIT: I think it is 0.4 bar for the LPT and 0.6 bar for the HPT, but I'm not quite sure about that.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
well the HPT for the 99 9-3 S (there is a HOT for the SE that had 200hp) but for the 185 it will have 6-7psi in 1st and 2nd then 10-11psi in 3rd to 5th. Not sure about the LPT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a 99 -- regular turbo; niether LPT nor HOT. I make 0.4 bar (~6 psi) in 1st and 2nd. In 3rd, 4th, and 5th I make between 0.8 and 1.0 bar (~12 psi to 14.5 psi) -- not sure why this is so high (stock boost controller)... <- Also wavers between values because the BPV isn't a perfect BOV.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Nik,
LPT is between 0.35 and 0.5 max, I think regular (185hp) is some 0.6-0.8 bar. You still have doubts regarding your engine?:lol:
Cheers
update: it reminded me, when adamsonem mentioned stock boost controller... do you have it? do you know what it looks like and can you find it? only FBT and HOT have them, LPT's don't... it's a glass-clear answer to your doubts! But since there's no boost gauge on your car, my guess is you won't find it under bonnet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Marquis de Saab!

Yes I still have doubts about the engine! :confused: How can I locate the boost controller?

I want to install a blowoff valve and I am not sure if it will have enough boost for the valve to operate normally and produce that nice "pshhh" sound. That why I asked you about the pressure.

I know that the valve has to be connected by a vacuum hose to the intake manifold after the throttle plate, but I am not quite sure where this is. Maybe a photo would help...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Calling PMI

I saw once a page provided by PMI (member here), which had a nice clear shot of BPC attached on his car, can't remember where I found that. Try search engine.
Look around your turbo, if you see only one hose about 12mm thick and 15cm long going from turbo to actuator, than it's LPT, if you find 3 hoses, going into a valve which is also connected on a 3 pin (am I correct, anybody) jack, then we are talking about 185 or 200hp 9-3. That valve should be attached on a front frame, under passenger headlight.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I would not describe this as a clear shot (the power steering return line is in the way so you cannot see the three hoses going to the BPC well), but here you go:

Assuming the wastegate is set the same on the LPT engine as on my car, then the LPT has what the manuals refer to as "base" boost, or 0.4 bar. A fair comparison of the two engines is difficult without comparing graphs of horsepower v. rpm side by side, measured the same way, and I have never seen that anywhere.

The BPC is the replacement for the APC controller on the older C900, but on the NG900, the BPC solenoid valve is controlled by the ECU.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, guys. I'll check it out later and I'll tell you what happens under the hood! :cheesy:

Anything about the blow-off valve that I mentioned before?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts