SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi trustworthy (non-Saab) mechanic told me a while ago that he thinks some bearing in my 2000 9-3's inner cv joint may have started to go as he could see a large play in the driveshaft where it joins the transmission (were the boot is) when he pushed it up and down.

I had him to put the car on the ramp and show it to me the other day. Basically, the boots are perfect, the driveshaft looks ok, only on the LH side when he pushes the driveshaft up it moves inside of the boot -about a couple of centimeters. He thinks it's a bearing that's gone and it could even be -god frobid!- an internal gearbox issue. But he is not sure.

There's no knocking, vibration, leakage or any other problem caused by it, in fact the car drives and feels perfectly fine and progresses through the gears ok.

So, question is: is there something wrong there? Or is it normal/tolerable?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
To quote : I had him to put the car on the ramp and show it to me the other day. Basically, the boots are perfect, the driveshaft looks ok, only on the LH side when he pushes the driveshaft up it moves inside of the boot -about a couple of centimeters. He thinks it's a bearing that's gone and it could even be -god forbid!- an internal gearbox issue. But he is not sure. This is good; and better, as described, the "excessive free play" is external.

Centimeters ??
You must mean millimeters, even that is a lot.
It seems as if the driver is worn. Note "worn", not worn out.
Over at the 900 section, someone there may know the wear limits-this condition takes hundreds of thousands of miles and many years..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply earthworm.
Not sure how much play is there, hard to judge by looking, could be a few mils alright!! All i know is it moves "a bit" :)
So you think it's ok? I'm going to leave it for now as I have no complaints altogether, why bother.
btw there's only 75K miles on mine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts