SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase a Saab, but am still debating over getting one with a manual tranny or an automatic. I was wondering what kind of limits someone has pushed their automatic and what kind of problems they may have run into if any. I wanna tune up to at least 300bhp but knowing me, i'll probably decide to push that further eventually. A manual would mean only i would drive it :cool: but sometimes i think an automatic would allow someone in the family to use it if need be. Also manuals are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Getting ready to purchase a Saab, but am still debating over getting one with a manual tranny or an automatic. I was wondering what kind of limits someone has pushed their automatic and what kind of problems they may have run into if any. I wanna tune up to at least 300bhp but knowing me, i'll probably decide to push that further eventually. A manual would mean only i would drive it :cool: but sometimes i think an automatic would allow someone in the family to use it if need be. Also manuals are hard to come by.
go for the manual if you want to tune HIGH. auto box is good for the 9-5, but in ANY car, an auto just can't cope with huge torque numbers. i wouldn't go past 420nm or about 325-330 ft lbs with an auto. but hell, 325 ft lbs and this car is gonna FLY.

300bhp is the limit on stock internals for the 9-5, although some people go slightly higher with no problems. personally, id just upgrade internals if i was going past 300 though.

manuals supposedly aren't as "reliable" as autos for the 9-5, although with a thick clutch pressure plate and light flywheel the manual tranny can likely hold as much as 450-500bhp, if not even more.

spend some time and look around for a manual box if you want performance. if you want a family cruiser- the auto box should serve you well. Dont take that the wrong way though- the auto can still go fast :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what brings you to this conclusion? :confused:
popular consensus i guess? i've just heard that around the forum. maybe just because the clutch is a wear item whereas the auto box pretty much lasts the life of the car.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I understand thet the Aisin auto in the V6Turbos can handle a lot of power. I'll be happy with ~320HP/~340LB-FT.

·
Registered
463 Posts
a clutch can last 100k, and manuals tend to be more economival than autos, so maybe could be about the same cost in the long run, but then you could say if you don't plan on having the car that long, its cheaper for manual. sorry don't mean to be a dcik, just don't gt your point.

was at knockhill a couple weeks ago with a guy who has a 480hp 9-5, and he's still on the standard box. the only internals he said you really need to change for that power if you want it are forged pistons and stiffer valvesprings. then obv all the obvious bolt ons ie injectors fuel pump etc etc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
a clutch can last 100k, and manuals tend to be more economival than autos, so maybe could be about the same cost in the long run, but then you could say if you don't plan on having the car that long, its cheaper for manual. sorry don't mean to be a dcik, just don't gt your point.

was at knockhill a couple weeks ago with a guy who has a 480hp 9-5, and he's still on the standard box. the only internals he said you really need to change for that power if you want it are forged pistons and stiffer valvesprings. then obv all the obvious bolt ons ie injectors fuel pump etc etc.
i dont have a point, really. it just seems a lot of people argue the auto is the stronger of the two. I have a manual myself, so that is awesome if its the better choice! im at 87k original clutch i believe, i hope i dont have to get a new one soon though :cry:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well i have a few add ons and i just desintigrated my manual tranny. kms just under 160,000kms, no its not the norm for these to pop tranny's like that but it is mechanical stuff that can fail, also my clutch has plenty left and is still original. Oh and I don't don't treat my car kind, it's purpose in life is to make me smile and haul my *** around, does both quite well!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well i have a few add ons and i just desintigrated my manual tranny. kms just under 160,000kms, no its not the norm for these to pop tranny's like that but it is mechanical stuff that can fail, also my clutch has plenty left and is still original. Oh and I don't don't treat my car kind, it's purpose in life is to make me smile and haul my *** around, does both quite well!!! :lol:
i think ill be well happy if i can get 40k more out of my clutch, ill probably want a new one by then anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
which MY was the 9-5? has any 9-3 here gone pass 400hp?

cheerios....:cheesy:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
480hp O_O Awesome, so manual it is. Now to find a car relatively close to tx, easier said than done thats for sure. I'd rather have a stick so I can really bring the car to life and family who can't drive stick from touching it. How much would a clutch replacement run?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
480hp O_O Awesome, so manual it is. Now to find a car relatively close to tx, easier said than done thats for sure. I'd rather have a stick so I can really bring the car to life and family who can't drive stick from touching it. How much would a clutch replacement run?
depends. maybe as much as 1000 depending on where you live. maybe as little as 500-600

if you can DIY, you will thank yourself a LOT im sure. clutches are a pain (or so im told)

once you build the top end, there is no reason why a 9-5 cant do 500whp. there are bolt on mods youll need to support, but the bottom end (exculdign pistons) is VERY strong in the 9-5.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thanks for the all the insightful input. Theres a 2000 aero for a good price but it's got around 150k miles on it. I'm still debating whether to nab it or not. For the price its going for i could invest alot more into it though.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the all the insightful input. Theres a 2000 aero for a good price but it's got around 150k miles on it. I'm still debating whether to nab it or not. For the price its going for i could invest alot more into it though.
you can look around for a while. i got my aero with 85k miles for 5300, it has 87k on it now. i got it about 500 under book value i believe.

even with 150k miles, it may be in GREAT condition. dont let miles scare you away, but just be sure the owner took good care of it. Aeros in general *usually* have more enthusiastic and caring owners, and i think youll generally find most are in good shape. Its easier to buy a used aero than it is to buy a used lpt in similar condition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With any transmission care is very important. with a manual transmission improper shifts will wear the clutch away, so a higher performace clutch is recomended if you would want higher horse power. With the auto transmission, properly timed oil changes are important. IF you will like higher performance with an auto, all i can recommend are different solenoids, but this is an maybe, and i dont believe there is a Saab shift kit for the valve body. Another consideration is work on the differential. this will be for both the auto and manual. I have an auto trans for my 2000 aero, i personally rebuilt the trans, i couldnt find a shift kit and so i couldn't change my tranny in any way to improve performance. But the Saab auto tranny is really good, just expensive :p

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
i think ill be well happy if i can get 40k more out of my clutch, ill probably want a new one by then anyway.
With any transmission care is very important. with a manual transmission improper shifts will wear the clutch away, so a higher performace clutch is recomended if you would want higher horse power.
The Saab Aero clutch is a Sachs beefey unit, and will hold just about all you can through at it-except maybe extended drag time, no need for a "performace" clutch. Most are junk and make for poor daily dirver.

My 2000 9-5 has a full Quaife LSD and Aero Clutch and hanldes 340 Lb ft very well over 25K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts