SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pair of halogen headlamps for '02-'05 to compare with the HID. However I neglected to have cutter pliers and therefore didn't grab the connector and part of the wiring that goes to the headlamp.

As far as I can tell in WIS, the halogen headlamps should need only four wires: parking light, low beam bulb, high beam bulb, and common ground. However the connector diagram shows a bunch of other wires in the connector, but they don't show up in the wiring diagram.

The HID headlight wiring diagram is much more helpful. :confused:

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the basic wiring is the same for the HID and halogen lamps. On the headlight connector:

1: Common ground (1.5 mil wire)
2: High/main beam feed (1.5 mil wire)
3: Low/dipped beam feed (1.5 mil wire)
4: Parking light feed (0.5 mil wire)

I can understand why the HID lamps would have more wires in the connector (level sensor input, xenon warning light output, flash-to-pass function on halogen bulb [#7] ?? other stuffs) but there isn't that much in a halogen lamp.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
WIS shows them at headlight levelling.
Halogen:
5: headlight levelling power supply (from dash fuse C)
6: from headlight level switch pin 10
7: headlight levelling ground

Xenon:
5: to xenon warning light
6: to front level sensor pin 3 AND rear level sensor pin 4
9: to OBD connector pin 8
10: +15 (from dash fuse 21)

And if car is US/CA:
7: from flash to pass relay (H7 high beam bulb)
ROW cars have H7 among D1S when high beam on.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I should have taken a look at the lamps, but they were not conveniently at hand.

It turns out that USA/CA halogen lamps have exactly four contacts, 1 through 4. The reminder that the rest of the world gets manual headlamp levelling is helpful. I wish we had that here! (We are apparently too dumb to lower the beam when the car is loaded. Or we don't care--many pickup drivers don't.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts